Former Bill Odell Haggins Wins One

flmike

Here's a funny story from when he a a first year free agent after spending his rookie year on the 49ers practice squad: At the beginning of the 1991 season my friend Petrino was making jokes about a white guy being named Odell.  I had no idea what he was talking about since i knew Odell Haggins is black.  On one trip back to Albany from a Bills game I asked him what he was talking about.  He then described the guy he though was Odell Haggins.  At the next Thruway rest stop I went to the trunk & pulled out my Gameday program and showed him what Odell Haggins looked like, then he looked at the other pictures of the 1991 Bills in the program. It turned out he had seen a video interview with Phil Hansen on TV and the station had erroneously put Odell Haggins name in the captioning of Hansen's interview.  The entire time Petrino thought Phil Hansen was Odell Haggins. 

Another thing I remember about Haggins' time with the Bills was a story from camp that appeared in a newspaper story I read.  Odell and another player got into a fight.  The reporter wrote that it was over someone taking his pudding.  To this day I don't know if that was a joke because the 2 guys involved were big men, or whether the reporter was being serious and he really got into a fight over pudding.