Mike Zimmer to name starting QB

CommonCents

17 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

That will be 33-24 Mike Zimmer through 3 and a half years in a division with the Packers and with a revolving door at Quarterback?  He is a good football coach, always has been.  Had to wait too long for his shot IMO.  Agree he should stick with Keenum at this stage but I absolutely understand the desire to know whether Teddy can still play.  All 3 Quarterbacks there are FAs after the season.  They have a nice lead in their division and they need to know who to pay come the offseason.  I think he would be wrong to make the switch now but at some point he needs to get Teddy on the field.  

If Keenum continues his play there is no way Teddy should see the field this season unless its in mop up time or in a clinched scenario. 

They play in a division with the Lions and the Bears...you forgot that part. Green Bay has slowly been declining talent wise. You are ontop of things don't make excuses for Zimmer. This would be a boneheaded decision.

Do you agree he should have squashed this by now? It's like messing with your starting pitcher during a game. Just let him do his thing, when/if he flames out try the other guy. I don't ever remember Teddy looking this good and passing this much. 

Just now, Commonsense said:

If Keenum continues his play there is no way Teddy should see the field this season unless its in mop up time or in a clinched scenario. 

They play in a division with the Lions and the Bears...you forgot that part. Green Bay has slowly been declining talent wise. You are ontop of things don't make excuses for Zimmer. This would be a boneheaded decision.

Do you agree he should have squashed this by now? It's like messing with your starting pitcher during a game. Just let him do his thing, when/if he flames out try the other guy. I don't ever remember Teddy looking this good and passing this much. 

I just don't think you can take only that short term view of the next 7 games.  They have to keep one eye on beyond 2017 and beyond this year they have 3 out of contract QBs.  Bradford who played some of the best football of his career last year, Keenum who is playing the best football of his career right now and then Bridgewater who they drafted and felt was really coming on at the end of 2015 before suffering the horrible injury in 2016 camp.  It's not a good position to be in and they are going to be taking a risk on one of these 3 guys (Bradford on health, Teddy on health and development, Keenum on possible regression to the mean - Fitz 2011 esque).  They need to see Teddy get live bullet in my opinion at some point.  I wouldn't do it this week but there will come a stage where they have to.  

8 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

I just don't think you can take only that short term view of the next 7 games.  They have to keep one eye on beyond 2017 and beyond this year they have 3 out of contract QBs.  Bradford who played some of the best football of his career last year, Keenum who is playing the best football of his career right now and then Bridgewater who they drafted and felt was really coming on at the end of 2015 before suffering the horrible injury in 2016 camp.  It's not a good position to be in and they are going to be taking a risk on one of these 3 guys (Bradford on health, Teddy on health and development, Keenum on possible regression to the mean - Fitz 2011 esque).  They need to see Teddy get live bullet in my opinion at some point.  I wouldn't do it this week but there will come a stage where they have to.  

They have a tough next month with Rams, Lions, Falcons and Panthers. I'd hope Zimmer is focused on doing what's best to get home field throughout, they have the talent to do so.

The Vikes are a likeable team I hope he don't screw up the chemistry for my own selfish reasons. I do agree that heading into next year it's a tough decision on Keenum, TB. If Keenum keeps winning that decision is made for him. 

23 minutes ago, Commonsense said:

I do agree that heading into next year it's a tough decision on Keenum, TB. If Keenum keeps winning that decision is made for him. 

I'm not sure it is unless he keeps winning all the way to the SB.  If they go say 12-4 and get knocked out in the Divisional Round I am not paying Franchise QB money to Keenum on the basis of 1 season that is way above his career average.  Might I offer him a Tyrod esque deal?  Possibly.... but even that is a stretch for me.  His career average to this point is way down on Tyrod Taylor's.

1 minute ago, GunnerBill said:

I'm not sure it is unless he keeps winning all the way to the SB.  If they go say 12-4 and get knocked out in the Divisional Round I am not paying Franchise QB money to Keenum on the basis of 1 season that is way above his career average.  Might I offer him a Tyrod esque deal?  Possibly.... but even that is a stretch for me.  His career average to this point is way down on Tyrod Taylor's.

I wouldn't feel comfortable paying either of those guys big money. Copy the 9ers mold and write up an aggressive contract like the one they had Kap sign. 

My guess is by 2020 whichever team signs these guys is wishing they could get away from the contract. So plan accordingly. 

Just now, Commonsense said:

I wouldn't feel comfortable paying either of those guys big money. Copy the 9ers mold and write up an aggressive contract like the one they had Kap sign. 

My guess is by 2020 whichever team signs these guys is wishing they could get away from the contract. So plan accordingly. 

Yea.  My default would be extend Bradford.  But I'd wanna give both of those other guys the chance to change my mind before I do that.  

2 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Yea.  My default would be extend Bradford.  But I'd wanna give both of those other guys the chance to change my mind before I do that.  

Fair. He is the  better player out of the three but comes with the glaring injury issues. When you hold him up to Teddy who is coming off of a horrific injury himself and Keenum who looks to be a flash in the pan that could be a sound decision.

The team is well built, it will be interesting to see what they do at QB going forward. A game manager could very well mean 2-4 years of competing for SBs with this surrounding cast.