Sal M midseason grades.

JM2009

"McDermott earns high marks for squeezing five wins out of a roster that has some holes and questionable depth. He has changed the mindset at One Bills Drive, he’s building a winning culture via a family-like atmosphere, and the players like him and trust his “process.” Offensive coordinator Rick Dennison needs to find a way to upgrade the passing attack now that Benjamin is here and Clay is returning soon. On defense, Leslie Frazier has been living the good life with 17 takeaways, but when those don’t come, the Bills have been very average, especially against the pass."

I agree on McD and the mindset.  I think for this team to make the playoffs, it needs to:

1. Get healthy, which we seem to be close to.
  2. Open up the offense more.  TT has shown he can get it going out there with lack luster targets due to the ZJ slow start and injuries.  Now we have a healthy Jordan, Clay back, and new weapon in KB, and ZJ seeming to have turned a corner.  Enough of this first down draw stuff, and playing conservative football in close games until we have to open it up.  Time to start coming out firing early in the game.  
  3. Less TT under center...get him out of the shotgun and roll out more.  Let the defense have to account for his legs on most plays to keep them guessing.
  4. More blitzing.  Our secondary plays better when we are getting pressure, just like any defense.  We need to bring more heat.  

I think McD is exactly what we need....not only this season but definately in the long term....love what he is doing with this team (considering what we had in the past).......Defence is playing exceptional (again compared to the last couple of years),,,,,,He is definately bringing out the best in our players no matter what their talent level is........IMO my only concern is the ongoing issues on offence....we have the players but it still seems (after the jets game) that our OC is not catering to our players strengths....keeps on relying on his scheme or appears to not being able to adjust on the fly if something is going wrong.....

The approach is fine and all but talent wins and next year's draft will tell us a lot. I knew the defense couldn't keep up with their suspect linebackers. The defensive line is not strong enough to hold up depth wise and Lawson and Hughes are a mediocre pairing. 

In the end we really do need all of those picks.