How (or when) will Russia retaliate?

Not sure the Soviets are going to care (especially about solid evidence), given their history.

20806[/snapback]

Speaking of Russian history, I think it is pretty crazy for any group to think terrorism is going to work against them. Look at the millions they lost in the war. Russians can take the worst beating that can be given and still survive. Napoleon and Hitler could attest to that.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

And oil (Groznyy has some decent reserves)...and it turns out one of the most economical ways to get oil out of the other Caucasus states (which have significant reserves) is to run a pipeline to the Black Sea...and there's only a few suitable pipeline routes, all of which run through Chechnya.

21052[/snapback]

That means a lot. Petroleum is nice but without economical transport it's useless.

And oil (Groznyy has some decent reserves)...and it turns out one of the most economical ways to get oil out of the other Caucasus states (which have significant reserves) is to run a pipeline to the Black Sea...and there's only a few suitable pipeline routes, all of which run through Chechnya.

21052[/snapback]

The inverse to this situation is that Russia could give Chechnya what it wants. Because Chechnya is landlocked, by Russia, Georgia & the mountains, Russia can effectively blockade the country.

However, Putin has been playing a dangerous game in not looking at where the better long term alliances are. He's still pissed that Georgia got its independence, and is heavily coutring the US. His cold war mindset of shuddering at USA's presense on the Black Sea is clouding the bigger problem he's created in the region with the Muslim territories.

By trying to destabilize Ossetia and force a revolution in pro-western Georgia, he's ensuring that Georgia may be friendlier to anti-Russian views.

This is a far bigger case of a blowback to Russia than OBL is to US. One day Putin will have to recognize that embracing the US and its presense is a better option for his country.

Can anyone explain why Russia actually wants Chechnya?

21007[/snapback]

Don't quote me on this because international affairs are really not my strong suit, but I'm fairly certain that Russia already has Moscow and Ubekistan, and if Russia can somehow take over Chechnya and put a hotel on it, they get $375 everytime someone lands on it.

Don't quote me on this because international affairs are really not my strong suit, but I'm fairly certain that Russia already has Moscow and Ubekistan, and if Russia can somehow take over Chechnya and put a hotel on it, they get $375 everytime someone lands on it.

21143[/snapback]

LOL, great.

21143[/snapback]

Ah, riskopoly at it's finest.