Rule clarification on the laterals at the end of games

bigbuffs

So I've seen it a couple times now this year where teams actually make a pretty decent lateral play at the end of games but I am a bit confused. The NFL rules say a fumble inside the last 2 min of game cannot be advanced (only the player who fumbles can advance rather). When the Bucs ran the lateral play at the end of the game the ball actually hit the ground twice. I never saw the refs throw the fumble bean bag but I would think this would be considered a fumble wouldn't it?

So I've seen it a couple times now this year where teams actually make a pretty decent lateral play at the end of games but I am a bit confused. The NFL rules say a fumble inside the last 2 min of game cannot be advanced (only the player who fumbles can advance rather). When the Bucs ran the lateral play at the end of the game the ball actually hit the ground twice. I never saw the refs throw the fumble bean bag but I would think this would be considered a fumble wouldn't it?

I think that advanced means fumbled forward.

It's not even that "advanced" means fumbled forward. I didn't mean to imply that. It's only that if the ball is fumbled forward only the guy that fumbled it can pick it up and advance it forward.

I thought there was something in the rules that clarified even further. He cannot, for example, just chuck the ball into the end zone and out run the defense to "recover" a touchdown, right?

I thought there was something in the rules that clarified even further. He cannot, for example, just chuck the ball into the end zone and out run the defense to "recover" a touchdown, right?

Antowain Smith did this for us back in the day. The ball popped out of his possession forward in the air and he ran like 6-10 yards and came down with it himself in the endzone. They threw a flag. I think it falls somewhere under illegal forward pass

Edited by Fetou

Right. That's a different rule but on the same kind of play. That comes from the Raiders' Dave Casper play when there was no time left and he just kept fumbling it forward 10-20 yards until it got into the end zone to recover it. So they rightfully made that illegal.