G3 Solar Storm

/dev/null

It could be theoretically possible that the electrostatic properties of volcanic plumes reach high enough in altitude (though the plumes themselves don't) to somehow interact with aurora. I can't see where it's ever been studied, though - all the studies are of dust and aerosols, which don't extend much beyond the stratosphere (if at all). But given that electrical discharge in thunderstorms can cause related discharges (red sprites) at high altitude, I can see where similar discharges in volcanic plumes might interact with aurora at the same altitude.

I get your point, and I fully agree that there is no evidence that the solar storm to visible aurora to volcano/earthquake (or whatever), sequence has ever been established.

But, in your post, if you are implying that the volcano was the source of the northern lights in this instance, I would strongly disagree. The phenomena extended, geographically, way beyond any ash from the volcano.

The difference in appearance of any aurora is completely different from anything that is earth atmosphere "pollutant" caused, and the appearance of this particular event preceded and succeeded the volcano.

Just an weird observation, but one that is interesting and undeniable, and I've never been able to justify the coincidence.

Edited by sherpa

I get your point, and I fully agree that there is no evidence that the solar storm to visible aurora to volcano/earthquake (or whatever), sequence has ever been established.

But, in your post, if you are implying that the volcano was the source of the northern lights in this instance, I would strongly disagree. The phenomena extended, geographically, way beyond any ash from the volcano.

No, I'm stating that there could be an interaction between the volcanic plume and mesosphere based on the electrostatic discharge (i.e. lightning) known to occur in volcanic plumes, and the known-but-poorly-understood interaction between electrostatic discharge in thunderstorms and the mesosphere. I also stated that ash couldn't have been involved, since that's limited to the stratosphere.

Nowhere did I say volcanism causes auroras, or volcanic ash affects them. Really, how you gleaned that from three sentences in which I never said the first and specifically contradicted the second would be thoroughly mystifying if such raging illiteracy wasn't common practice on this board.

You may want to throttle back there amigo.

I never refuted or argued against anything you said.

I simply stated that "if" there was an implication that volcanic ash had anything to do with the location of the phenomena, it was unsupported.

Your second paragraph, where you question "where I gleaned," is not comment-able, because it never happened.

I'm not here for confrontation, and I cant be baited into it.