When Do We Drill Open Alaska?

PTS

I still cannot comprehend why we don't drill open the Alaksan pipe line? How much longer are we going to have to depend on foreign (errrr ... Terrorist) Oil until we say enough is enough!

From what I hear, Alaskans are not opposed to it. It was promised that the environment will be barely altered and most of the drilling would occur in the peak winter season.

The same people that scream blood for oil are the same people that oppose opening up Alaska for oil.

I say open it up and send a big FU to OPEC.

First, drilling into the Alaska pipeline doesn't make much sense.  I'm guessing you mean the Arctic National Wildlife Reserve (ANWR) instead.

Here's a Thread About It.

260907[/snapback]

My Alaska Pipeline = Arctic National Wildlife Reserve

Sorry, I'm not familiar with anything in Alaska. But I know there is oil there and I think it's stupid not to use it.

I too have heard that Alaskans, for the most part, welcome the drilling as a means to boost the economy of the area directly impacted.

Wildlife considerations aside, it is foolish to think that drilling into the US reserves (ANWR or otherwise) will eliminate our dependence on foreign oil. The US holds only 3% of the world's reserves...not exactly enough to get us very far without reaching out.

The demand for petroleum in the US for 2004 was 20.5 million barrels per day. This was an increase of appx. 2.5 percent from the previous year. The most generous estimates claim that ANWR contains 16 billion barrels of oil. That's enough to supply the US for a little over 2 years. Still want to eliminate our dependence on foreign oil?

Truth is, to effectively reduce our dependence, Americans need to be more willing to embrace alternate sources of energy. That's what our politicians should be focusing on....not 2 years worth of oil sitting in a wildlife preservation.

That said, I still drive a gas car and probably will until the prices of hybrids drop.

Truth is, to effectively reduce our dependence, Americans need to be more willing to embrace alternate sources of energy. That's what our politicians should be focusing on....not 2 years worth of oil sitting in a wildlife preservation.

That said, I still drive a gas car and probably will until the prices of hybrids drop.

262345[/snapback]

Easier said than done. I can't even imagine the payoffs going on in delaying this.

I never understand how a group like opec that does not control the majority of oil production is able to control the price of oil so well by threatening to reduce their production by like only 5%.

I never understand how a group like opec that does not control the majority of oil production is able to control the price of oil so well by threatening to reduce their production by like only 5%.

265356[/snapback]

They must know someone in the government... <_<