good article on analytics in the NFL

I didn't say statistics was worthless but I was implying the idea of trying to use it to predict out comes was foolish for the reasons I posted. Which wise person could accurately determine the number of heads if you toss the coin 5 times. Now if you toss it a thousand times I bet he is pretty close, and that is with only one variable.

Right, but you don't need to NAIL every call, simply identifying loose trends can go a long way.

• 2 weeks later...

I didn't say statistics was worthless but I was implying the idea of trying to use it to predict out comes was foolish for the reasons I posted. Which wise person could accurately determine the number of heads if you toss the coin 5 times. Now if you toss it a thousand times I bet he is pretty close, and that is with only one variable.

Coin tosses aren't a good example for how useful analytics can be. Coin tosses produce one outcome - say tails - 50% of the time. But if advanced analytics can find you examples of situations where teams react to certain situations in certain ways 80% of the time in games, you can exploit that, and doing so will help you an awful lot.

Coin tosses are based purely on chance. The stuff that is analyzed by analytics is based on human decision-making, human variance of abilities and the way two hugely complex systems (teams) produce results when pitted against each other.

Moneyball in baseball is an example of a situation when looking carefully at analytics in ways better than the other teams do can indeed affect outcomes.

Edited by Thurman#1