Mike Mayock vs. Mel Kiper

ajzepp

This Mike Mayock guy makes Kiper look like an amateur. I have the combine feed on (NFL Network) in the background, and I swear this guy knows every friggin detail about ALL these guys. I'm sure Kiper knows his sh*t too, but even though this guy is not the most personable of folks, he is the man when it comes to knowing about these prospects.

I like Mayock better too...The only problem is that if you weren't looking at the tv he sounds just like marino when he talks.

259019[/snapback]

wow, you're right lol......he annunciates a little differently, but I'll be damned if he doesn't have the same tone to his voice as Dan.

Watching this combine stuff, I can't help but wonder which of these guys TD is going to pluck out of the draft on day 2 for us.........It's also interesting to see Reggie Roby's kid out here......he just ran a 4.4 in the 40.

wow, you're right lol......he annunciates a little differently, but I'll be damned if he doesn't have the same tone to his voice as Dan.

Watching this combine stuff, I can't help but wonder which of these guys TD is going to pluck out of the draft on day 2 for us.........It's also interesting to see Reggie Roby's kid out here......he just ran a 4.4 in the 40.

259029[/snapback]

Kiper doesn't have the time to do as much research as Mayock, ya know with all the time he spends spraying his hair down.

Kiper doesn't have the time to do as much research as Mayock, ya know with all the time he spends spraying his hair down.

259035[/snapback]

lol......forgot to factor in the hair factor......thanks for reminding me :ph34r:

I think Kiper is definitely more entertaining, but Mayock seems to have it all over him as far as detail about these guys. I have to admit, even though the production quality of this combine show is very raw, it's pretty interesting to see what the coaches and GMs are seeing.......kinda weird seeing them all spread out in the stands, though.

Joel Buchbaum was the man, may he RIP.

259037[/snapback]

Oh, man....I didn't know that guy died. I used to read his draft guides........that sucks

what turns my stomach about mel kiper is how the ESPN guys pump him up so much. they call him genius at every opportunity, and kiper just sucks it up. He loves it. He adores himself, and it ain't cute.

But what kills me is that Kiper ISN'T a draft genius, let alone a "genius". He doesn't do much in the way of research himself. He doesn't form his own opinions. What Kiper is is an AGGREGATOR of opinion. He created his own law of averages. He'll get the opinion of 20 scouts on a player, find out where they'd take the guy, and then he averages them to create his list. It's a joke. Anyone could do what Kiper does. I would have no problem remembering the names and heights and 40 times if that's all I did for a living.

Don't get me wrong, I'm entertained by the guy because I love the draft. But he's no genius. I've been far more impressed by Mayock, so I agree. Kiper also mispronounces so many names, it's a wonder he isn't chastised by ESPN.

THe funny thing is, some scouts have deliberately given Kiper bad information to see if he'd use it. Lo and behold, he has had MANY guys in his 1st round board that slipped to the 3rd, 4th, even 5th round. Look back through the prediction records of Kiper versus the other guys, and you'll see he's in the low-middle of the road statistically.

The Huddle Report has kicked Kiper's ass consistently.

what turns my stomach about mel kiper is how the ESPN guys pump him up so much. they call him genius at every opportunity, and kiper just sucks it up. He loves it. He adores himself, and it ain't cute.

But what kills me is that Kiper ISN'T a draft genius, let alone a "genius". He doesn't do much in the way of research himself. He doesn't form his own opinions. What Kiper is is an AGGREGATOR of opinion. He created his own law of averages. He'll get the opinion of 20 scouts on a player, find out where they'd take the guy, and then he averages them to create his list. It's a joke. Anyone could do what Kiper does. I would have no problem remembering the names and heights and 40 times if that's all I did for a living.

Don't get me wrong, I'm entertained by the guy because I love the draft. But he's no genius. I've been far more impressed by Mayock, so I agree. Kiper also mispronounces so many names, it's a wonder he isn't chastised by ESPN.

THe funny thing is, some scouts have deliberately given Kiper bad information to see if he'd use it. Lo and behold, he has had MANY guys in his 1st round board that slipped to the 3rd, 4th, even 5th round. Look back through the prediction records of Kiper versus the other guys, and you'll see he's in the low-middle of the road statistically.

The Huddle Report has kicked Kiper's ass consistently.

259047[/snapback]

That's interesting.......I hadn't really thought about it too much until I started paying attention to this combine footage. His spots on the other shows were good, but I never really gave the guy much credit (maybe cause he's kinda boring, I dunno).......but all they really did was stick a few cameras and mics inside the RCA Dome, and a lot of it is just repetitive drills, but all the sh*t this guy knows about the players is pretty interesting. He's going into details about players that I've never heard Kiper dish out.

I may be wrong, but it seems Mel wants money for everything he says.  I get the impression that if you politely asked him what time it was, he would only answer if you forked over a five dollar bill.

259091[/snapback]

:ph34r: