How many of TD's draft picks remain?

HurlyBurly51

To me it doesn't matter about draft picks that much.

This is a 98.5% TD built team.

The only hold-over from the Bulter era is Moulds.

And TD re-signed him.

Frankly in this era of free agency, I'd be more worried about a 100% team of home grown draftees. It's a card game boys and girls. You're going to win some hands, and lose some others. Nobody wins 'em all.

a better question to ask is how productive have his picks been

23 of 36 picks made the active roster

1 QB Losman

3 RB Henry, McGahee, Smith

1 TE Euhus

3 WR Evans, Aiken, Reed

1 G Pucillo

3 T Williams, Jennings, McFarland

3 DE Schobel, Denney, Kelsay

3 DT Edwards, Bannan, Anderson

2 LB Haggan, Crowell

3 CB Clements, Thomas, McGee

1 S Wire

Of these 23 how many are starting?

1 RB Henry

1 WR Reed/Evans

2 T Williams, Jennings

2 DE Schoebel, Kelsay/Denney

1 CB Clements

1 S Wire (only until Milloy returns)

Yielding 8 starters

1 starter is a UDFA, LG Lawrence Smith

So TD has found 9 starters

2 starters, WR Moulds and DT Williams are holdovers from previous regime

2 starters via trade, QB Bledsoe and TE Campbell

11 starters via free agency (FB Shelton, C Teague, RG Villarel, DT Adams, LB Posey, LB Spikes, LB Fletcher, CB Vincent, FS Reese, P Mooreman, K Lindell)

13 of 24 starters were free agents

2 of 24 are holdovers

9 of 24 are TD talent

Since when did production stop meaning anything, who cares about percentages, what the hell have they done???

20014[/snapback]

You again, huh? Aren't you the guy who is calling Lee Evans a bust? I see your crusade against TD has not waned...

Attention all McDonald's-working, GED-earning, ADHD-struggling simpletons frequenting this board who cannot follow an analysis beyond a simple win-loss record, let alone an analysis of Fake-Fat-Sunny proportions: I wasn't defending TD's job as an overall GENERAL MANAGER, but without any other drafting stats from other teams that can be used as a reference, I AM defending his job as a DRAFT EVALUATOR. Until anyone else here can post stats from other teams that show TD is doing a comparably worse job of drafting, then there is no reason to be complaining about TD's drafting abilities.

As for TD's overall ability as a GM and his win-loss record, only one of his 3 seasons here can be considered a failure. In his first season, we were in serious salary cap jail. In his second season, we were still in salary cap jail and managed to improve by 5 games. In his third season as GM, we should have made the playoffs but instead underachieved. The blame went primarily to GW and KG for this. Was there more to last year's failure than coaching? Was TD to blame for more than just a bad head coach hiring? We don't know yet, but we should find out by the end of this season. So then let the season unfold before you grab your pitchforks and flaming toches and rush on over to OBD.

Peace.

Good job /dev/null.

20040[/snapback]

I agree. Evaluating actual starters from the draft (plus the UDFA talent pool) is a good way - perhaps the best way - to evaluate TD's drafting abilities. 10 of his 25 starters this Sunday (I included long snapper as a full-time position like K and P) will be his former draft picks or UDFA's. 40%. That's pretty good and probably among the highest in the league.

I know he kept Pukecillo and that has to be only because he drafted him in round 4.

20060[/snapback]

First of all, Pukecillo was drafted in round 7. Second of all, the coaches make the determination on who gets cut and who stays, not TD. And third of all, Pukecillo is not a good starter but still is a respectable reserve who's had a full preseason experience with McNally and a full two years with the majority of the OL. Who else would we have kept instead of Pukey? Sullivan? No, at least Pukester has a work ethic. Sobieski and Esposito? Well they're on the practice squad now.

You again, huh? Aren't you the guy who is calling Lee Evans a bust? I see your crusade against TD has not waned...

Attention all McDonald's-working, GED-earning, ADHD-struggling simpletons frequenting this board who cannot follow an analysis beyond a simple win-loss record, let alone an analysis of Fake-Fat-Sunny proportions: I wasn't defending TD's job as an overall GENERAL MANAGER, but without any other drafting stats from other teams that can be used as a reference, I AM defending his job as a DRAFT EVALUATOR. Until anyone else here can post stats from other teams that show TD is doing a comparably worse job of drafting, then there is no reason to be complaining about TD's drafting abilities.

As for TD's overall ability as a GM and his win-loss record, only one of his 3 seasons here can be considered a failure. In his first season, we were in serious salary cap jail. In his second season, we were still in salary cap jail and managed to improve by 5 games. In his third season as GM, we should have made the playoffs but instead underachieved. The blame went primarily to GW and KG for this. Was there more to last year's failure than coaching? Was TD to blame for more than just a bad head coach hiring? We don't know yet, but we should find out by the end of this season. So then let the season unfold before you grab your pitchforks and flaming toches and rush on over to OBD.

Peace.

20051[/snapback]

I think this post is right on target, hits the nail on the head and other cliches of praise beyond you mentioning my new name!

I think you are right on target that only 1 of TDs seasons can be honestly judged a failure on his part, Unfortunately for him in this what have you done for me lately league and world, it was the last one.

I think the irony here though is that this failure as you point out was the failure of the coaches and GW and KG (along with Ruel) lost their jobs due to this failure, However, I think that their failure has to be a big part of assessment of TDs work, because to me his biggest mistake occured right after he arrived on the Bills scene because for 'never again' or whatever reasons he hired an HC who was not ready for primetime.

I think this first should have become clear to fans in GW's first season when he took a marketing and motivational tack of declaring that the Bills goal his first year was to make the playoffs. I pointed out this was stupid in a louder and louder virtual voice as the 3-13 record stacked up.

I was dosappointed (though I guess not surprised) that some folks defended him saying that there was nothing else he could say since admitting that 2001 was a rebui8lding year was unacceotable. I heartily agree that admitting the obvious of 2001 being a rebuilding year was not possible, but i also reject the notion that he only had two choices, either stupidly give-up or stupidly claim we were going to make the playoffs. If only he and TD had taken the Sabre-like stance of declaring the 2001 Bills the "hardest" working team in fiitbakk and they could have both motivated the TEAM by holding them to a high standard and disentangle claims of success from producing a good record they could not produce.

I blame GW for this, but I blame TD for not picking a better HC.

2002 also saw a critical mistake that TG should be held accountable for in that it was pretty obvious to me (even a simpleton outsider) that HW was not up to winningthe game. I held out some hope once it became clear that TD was not going to pull the plug on his employment that he was setting things up so KG could be disciplined with the threat of moving former OC Les Steckel in to replace him. Alas and alack it never happened and we went 6-10.