Donald Jones says coaches do not teach players fundamentals

PolishDave

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thats crazy. That should spark Pegs to bring in some technique teachers during TC for a week or two and have one for each position to get some more tech in there. Fundamentals and technique can turn an average player into a game breaker

Technique does make a difference. Don Beebe's House of Speed is just such a place for refining skills and I am surprised that more NFL players do not invest some of their own money during off season on skill work since their union restricts amount of time they can spend with coaches.

Teams obviously leave it up to the coaching staff. If I was Pegula and knew that some coaches didn't teach technique, I would make it very clear to my head coach that "not teaching technique" is unacceptable.

I would also be tempted to hire ex-players (retired guys) as off season trainers who work one on one with existing players. I would provide the facility for them to do so. And I would leave it as an option for the players on whether or not to attend. That would tell me which players want to be the best at their craft and which ones want to put in the least amount of effort possible. Perfect retirement job for guys like Darryl Talley. Employed by the team to improve players every year regardless of who the coaching staff is. Permanent team trainers if you will.

NFLPA restricts what teams can do during off season and that would certainly fail within "Lets get Laywers involved" area.

Technique does make a difference. Don Beebe's House of Speed is just such a place for refining skills and I am surprised that more NFL players do not invest some of their own money during off season on skill work since their union restricts amount of time they can spend with coaches.

I agree. I believe the coaches need to give players objectives for the "off season". It's up to them how they come back improved in their craft.

NFLPA restricts what teams can do during off season and that would certainly fail within "Lets get Laywers involved" area.

Right. Especially with the $$ they make and the competition they face. My friends are in a band and I always say if hell freezes over and we ever make it, im gonna invest in personal music lessons for guitar, vocal breathing, and physical training to bulk up.

Right. Especially with the $$ they make and the competition they face. My friends are in a band and I always say if hell freezes over and we ever make it, im gonna invest in personal music lessons for guitar, vocal breathing, and physical training to bulk up.

this post is just one reason why I love ya Man

I am sure somebody would complain. But I think you could find a way to make it work if it was voluntary. Heck, you could run it as a separate for non-profit organization that is disconnected from the NFL. Funded by donors a.k.a. Pegula Sports. If there is a will, there is a way.

Edited by PolishDave

I am sure somebody would complain. But I think you could find a way to make it work if it was voluntary. Heck, you could run it as a separate for non-profit organization that is disconnected from the NFL. Funded by donors a.k.a. Pegula Sports. If there is a will, there is a way.

I guess it comes down to, what do the players want.

Developing the craft to get paid for the second contract seems motivation to me.