49ers All 22 O Line/ Tyrod Unforced Errors Breakdown

Bocephuz

I don't think teams have taken the deep ball away either... it is just that the three guys we really targeted on deep routes last year were Harvin (retired), Sammy (injured) and to a lesser extent Hogan (gone). TT has overthrown a couple - notably the one to Woods in LA, but for the main the balls haven't been badly thrown but they have thrown to a bad football player - Goodwin - who, ironically for a former track star, couldn't track his way home following a road.

Also, with Lynn allowing Tyrod to choose his progression based on the defense and matchups, I think he's getting a lot of 2 deep looks that are causing him to prioritize other routes more often.

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Bills are better on third downs and are scoring more points. Tyrod is running the offense quite well.

way to give credit from the run game to tightwad. He has almost lost 2 games that got close (49's,rams) with too many 3 n outs in a row, and def. lost the very winnable baltimore and jets games because of his ineptness. rams were tied after 4 out of 5 drives going 3 n out for example. Even the cards were coming back as we stopped scoring and had to rely on 4 ints in a row from the defense, imagine if those ints were tds or even fgs...we would have lost that game too.

that being said, if missing wide open guys in the middle of the field on nearly every third down is your idea of running the offense well then I apologize.

The YPA is down because he's not relying on the home run deep throws and is actually learning to use the entire football field. His coaches and Whaley will tell you this is a good thing and I'd agree, although he needs to start hitting on a few of the deep ones to keep defenses honest (especially this weekend without McCoy against a stacked box). But the YPA isn't a useful metric here. And Russell Wilson took about three years before he finally started understanding the position cerebrally.

That is my perception as well Coach Tuesday. Last year his YPA was fantastic.. but it was mostly due to the 1 or 2 long bombs per game he would hit in most of those games that skewed the average. I'm over generalizing here... but last year it was likely a dump off pass or a 50 yard bomb.. very little intermediate route completions/attempts in between.

This year.. particularly in the last few games.. he has been attempting/completing more intermediate routes and just missing on the deep balls. So in that sense.. YPA doesn't always directly correlate with a QB executing an offense correctly. I don't have the stats in front of me.. but I assume his YPA in week 2 Jets game was higher than in any other game this year... but I think most would agree that he performed very poorly in the Jets game other than the two deep balls he hit.

It kills me to agree with you, but this is 100% accurate.

Tyrod's largest issue last year was his propensity for 3-and-outs, and a terrible success rate on 3rd down.

That's been the major difference so far this season.

This is also a major reason why the defense is performing so much better since week 3. And a major reason why Roman is gone as it was pretty apparent that Roman was trying to go deep way to often rather than focusing on moving the chains.

I don't think teams have taken the deep ball away either... it is just that the three guys we really targeted on deep routes last year were Harvin (retired), Sammy (injured) and to a lesser extent Hogan (gone). TT has overthrown a couple - notably the one to Woods in LA, but for the main the balls haven't been badly thrown but they have thrown to a bad football player - Goodwin - who, ironically for a former track star, couldn't track his way home following a road.

I can really only think of 3 poorly thrown deep balls by TT this year. Certainly the missed one to Woods in LA was on TT, there was a deep throw down the middle he underthrew in Jets game I believe .. and one other than I can't specifically remember.

He tried to hit Goodwin on a go route in the 49ers game but unfortunately the line broke down and the throw was offline due to him getting hit.

I think eventually he'll start hitting those.. hopefully they keep taking shots.