Ryan Denney or Chris Kelsay?

Frez

Which one deserves to start on Sunday? Is the jury STILL out on both of these guys?

Anyone seen Jason Gildon?  :(

18801[/snapback]

Denney seemed much better than Kelsay on zone blitz plays where Denney huge wingspan comes into play when the DE drops back t cover short quick pass plays and he showed greater agility than I expected getting into medium pass coverage and pulling off plays like his INT in pre-season.

Kelsay however looks a bit stronger to me holding his ground on running plays. Ithink this Genney better in pass pro and Kelsay better on run plays is why these two seem to grade out from what I here as being neck and neck.

Pass rush however is really the bread and butter for LDEs and though both are definitely high motor guys, neither has really made a name for himself as someone an opposing OC needs to account for much less dounle team as a pass rush threat.

Denny has come far since his rookie year where in his inability to bend down and get good leverage against more experienced blockers earned him a number of trips to the inactive list for the first 2/3 of the season. He has improved but still is not an imposing threat.

I agree with the apparent decision of Krumrie and gray to make Kelsy number 1 DE on our deoth chart and what he needs to do when the real games start is to simply produce in terms of pressures and sacks.

Overall, the D scheme this year seems to be one of playing the DL in waves so who starts is really much less of a question for the Bills after a couple of series, Kelsay will probably play more against teams that run a lot and Denney will probably play more against teams which pass a lot.

The key here strikes me as Krumrie and Gray doing a good job of mixing of the play calls and the personnel so opposing teams cannot know everytime Denny is in here comes an LB on the blitz and every time Kelsay is in we;re goin with the standard 4-3. The question of who starts Denny or Kelsat us somewhat illusory to the bigger question of how do we run the D for maximum effectiveness.

2 DE's from Tommy Donahoe. Can one of them at least contribute this year?

18845[/snapback]

No offense, but your pedantic anti-TD posts are getting old. You've made your point. You don't like the job TD has done. That's clear. In as friendly a tone as I can say this, please give it a rest.

While I do not disagree with the opinion that Kelsay looks better against the run, I cannot understand one thing. Consistantly, the Bills have said that Denny is "solid against the run" and weaker against the pass. What is it that we do not see that make the Bills like Denny so much as a run stopper. His stock in this department has been going up each year.

Maybe TSW doesn't know more that NFL coaches? Or not.

No offense, but your pedantic anti-TD posts are getting old.  You've made your point. You don't like the job TD has done.  That's clear.  In as friendly a tone as I can say this, please give it a rest.

19661[/snapback]

Sorry if I hurt your feelings guest.

I'm sick of the Tom Donahoe is GOD post on this board, but I never complain about it.

I thought these two were the same person.......Densay..???

I'm no pro scout, but Densay has not shown me much. Just gald we did not spend a first round pick on the say portion of Densay. But, we did move up to get the Den portion of Densay.

I'm not sure who should start, but I hope Densay has a good season.

Go Bills!

I thought these two were the same person.......Densay..???

I'm no pro scout, but Densay has not shown me much.  Just gald we did not spend a first round pick on the say portion of Densay.  But, we did move up to get the Den portion of Densay.

I'm not sure who should start, but I hope Densay has a good season.

Go Bills!

19940[/snapback]

Densay.............I like that! :(:(:D

While I do not disagree with the opinion that Kelsay looks better against the run, I cannot understand one thing.  Consistantly, the Bills have said that Denny is "solid against the run" and weaker against the pass.  What is it that we do not see that make the Bills like Denny so much as a run stopper.  His stock in this department has been going up each year.

Maybe TSW doesn't know more that NFL coaches?  Or not.

19774[/snapback]

Part of this is that rating Denny against the pass consists of two pieces of hia game. I like him when we the opponent calls a pass and Gray is in the run-blitz mode. In this case Denny is dropping back into pass coverage and merely by sticking is arms out wide there is a bunch of coverage by him on the left side which defends against quick passes, In addition, Denny has actually shown some good agility when he is in open space and some good hands as seen in his INT in the pre-season. He does not have the usual DE problem in the run[blitz of not being able to cover medium passes. The key for us making this work better is the LBs disguising their blitzes in this package.

Unfortunately, I do shudder when the opponent calls a pass and we are in a mode where Denney is performing as a down lineman because he just does not get the rush that we need from a DE.

In many ways Denny has a split personality in terms of his weakness/strength on pass plays.

The second part of this problem os that many commentators are confused by this dual performance issue and view all passing situations and a players performance as the same.

Its simply more complex than the conventional commentary on this issue.