If we front load the offer to Franks...

They were 3 mil over the cap before today and my guess is that even with the release of Navies they are still right at the limit.

If I was TD I would release Teague, Preiloeau, and Bannan and sign Franks to a big deal and go after LG Mike Wahle (GB) and C Dominc Raiola (DET) hard and make sure we re-sign DT Pat Williams. If we don't then we've got trade up into the first round and grab a DT and I would do that even if it means trading next years no.1.

Could you imagine our offense?

QB JP Losman.........6 02 224 23yrs

FB Damion Shelton..6 00 262 32yrs

RB Willis McGahee...6 00 223 23yrs

LT LJ Shelton..........6 05 355 28yrs

LG Mike Wahle........6 06 304 27yrs

C Dominc Raiola...6 02 295 26yrs

RG Chris Villarrial...6-03 320 31yrs

RT Mike Williams.....6-06 370 25yrs

WR Eric Moulds.......6-01 204 31yrs

WR Lee Evans........5-11 197 23yrs

TE Bubba Franks....6-06 265 27yrs

That's a very young and very talented team that would have a 4-5 year run in them at least.

Then we could draft depth at RB, CB and S as well as look for WR, OL or DL projects.

Anyone else drooling?

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

No way we have the cap room to sign all of those guys though. With the cuts you listed we would probably have just enough room to sign 2 of those 4 guys. No way we can get a big name C and G in Free Agency on top of resigning Pat and getting Bubba.

I think it's more probable that TD and company sign a decent FA guard and then make the decision whether they want to go after a FA TE or resign Pat. The only way we could get all three of these Guys (Guard, Big Pat and a TE (Pollard or Franks) is if we get soem of our own guys to restructure cough Mike Williams cough comes to mind. I just don't see bug Mike taking a pay cut tho, the guy seems to be all about the moeny according to soem of the articles written about him.

I think the team wants a TE, but they are committed to Ruhus and Campbell in the long run, As ACL recivery means that neihter is likely to recover their past form until late this season at the earliest the team will go for an FA TE. However, rather than spending alot on a multi0year contract for a TE they expect to keep a long time, i suspect they will be more interested in a good TE who is on the backsde of his career they can sign cheaply and get back to Euhus and/or Campbell in 2005.

As I mentioned before the TE equivalent of a Larry Centers when we signed him will probably be the TE of choice. Ig Becht is viewed as past his prime or perhaps Cam Cleeland who has shown talent but been slowedf by injuries may be the lower cost short-term guys for us. I wouldn't forget Jasom Peters either as a former TE, MM might feel he knows the position well enough to develop a silk purse from a sows ear and getting cheap talent he can improve may be more interesting for him than paying through the nose for a more finished product ;ike Franks.

I think the team wants a TE, but they are committed to Ruhus and Campbell in the long run,  As ACL recivery means that neihter is likely to recover their past form until late this season at the earliest the team will go for an FA TE. However, rather than spending alot on a multi0year contract for a TE they expect to keep a long time, i suspect they will be more interested in a good TE who is on the backsde of his career they can sign cheaply and get back to Euhus and/or Campbell in 2005.

There's still hope for Euhus, but Campbell will be 30 in December, is coming off an ACL injury, and was never a great player. Not a good combination. I HOPE the Bills aren't holding onto sentiment and ARE looking to replace him, and I think they will.

No way we have the cap room to sign all of those guys though.  With the cuts you listed we would probably have just enough room to sign 2 of those 4 guys.  No way we can get a big name C and G in Free Agency on top of resigning Pat and getting Bubba. 

I think it's more probable that TD and company sign a decent FA guard and then make the decision whether they want to go after a FA TE or resign Pat.  The only way we could get all three of these Guys (Guard, Big Pat and a TE (Pollard or Franks) is if we get soem of our own guys to restructure  cough Mike Williams  cough comes to mind.  I just don't see bug Mike taking a pay cut tho, the guy seems to be all about the moeny according to soem of the articles written about him.

249307[/snapback]

We're currently at almost 10 million under the cap. If we cut Bannan (225K), Haddad (225K), Lindell (507K), Prioleau (1.23M) and Teague (1.02M) that adds up to 3.207M which would put us at around 13 million under the cap. I think it's feasible to think we could sign Wahle for around what we signed Villarrial for (His cap number for his first year was a little over 2 million) and I'd bet we could grab Raiola for around a 3 million cap hit and Franks for around a 4 million first year cap number. That's around 9 million without anyone else restructuring which I think is likely. This leaves us with close to 4 million to work with.

We'd have an offensive unit that would be young, lethal and signed for the 4-5 years and defensive unit to match.

I think the team wants a TE, but they are committed to Ruhus and Campbell in the long run,  As ACL recivery means that neihter is likely to recover their past form until late this season at the earliest the team will go for an FA TE. However, rather than spending alot on a multi0year contract for a TE they expect to keep a long time, i suspect they will be more interested in a good TE who is on the backsde of his career they can sign cheaply and get back to Euhus and/or Campbell in 2005.

As I mentioned before the TE equivalent of a Larry Centers when we signed him will probably be the TE of choice. Ig Becht is viewed as past his prime or perhaps Cam Cleeland who has shown talent but been slowedf by injuries may be the lower cost short-term guys for us.  I wouldn't forget Jasom Peters either as a former TE, MM might feel he knows the position well enough to develop a silk purse from a sows ear and getting cheap talent he can improve may be more interesting for him than paying through the nose for a more finished product ;ike Franks.

249311[/snapback]

I just don't see us commiting anything to two TE's with torn ACLs who will most likely not play this year. I think Bubba Franks is an elite player at his position and GB has no way to keep him.considering their cap situation. We could steal him with a creative, front loaded contract and we have no one on our roster that compares to him as a player.

I'm pretty sure that the team doesn't have to match the exact contract, just the amounts.  I'm about 99% sure that the rule was put in place when Parcells went to the Jets and made just such an offer to Curtis Martin.

249409[/snapback]

I believe you are right but looking at GB's cap number I don't see how they could match anything above the 2 mil transition number.

I think Pollard will be in high demand while getting Franks could be simply the work of a creative contract.

249374[/snapback]

you think pollard will be in higher demand then franks?

pollard is 33.......franks is 27.......nough said.......

Franks has a transition tag on him.  Pollard is an UFA.  Nough said

250640[/snapback]

transition tag doesn't mean anything.........it just gives green bay the ability to match.......if a team wants franks, they will get him because green bay is cap strung........

i guarantee more teams will look at franks over pollard.........pollard has 2 or 3 good years left, and franks has half a dozen........

franks = bigger contract = more demand........