Drew Bledsoe

http://www.nypost.com/sports/40876.htm

ALL THE TUNA'S MEN

By KEN PALMER

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Email Archives

Print Reprint

February 20, 2005 -- BILL Parcells' legacy continues to grow. Even as the Tuna struggles in Big D, three more of his disciples continue to move up in the football world. Bill Belichick passed Parcells on the Super Bowl titles chart with his third championship two weeks back and both of New England's coordinators - Romeo Crennel and Charlie Weis, who's headed to Notre Dame - have finally landed themselves major head-coaching gigs.

In an ironic twist, Crennel is attempting to succeed in Cleveland, the same place the now-nearly-sainted Belichick failed mightily from 1991-95, when he posted only one winning season.

Former Giants great Harry Carson said he doesn't have a doubt in the world that Crennel will be a smashing success.

"I think Romeo's just as good as Parcells and Belichick," Carson told The Post. "He's just suffered because he hasn't gotten the name recognition. He's been an outstanding coach for a long time."

George Martin also played under Crennel, a Giants assistant as special-teams and defensive-line coach from 1981-92. He actually credits Belichick as much as Parcells, if not more, for Crennel's ascent.

"He's such a dedicated and intelligent man," Martin told The Post. "He was a very loyal individual and a real teacher."

"Romeo was very low key and level headed," Carson added. "He can pop the whip when he has to, but he more tries to reason with guys."

Crennel is just one product of the Parcells coaching factory, which also previously spit out Belichick and Weis. Tom Coughlin, who took Jacksonville to two AFC Championship Games, also got his start under Parcells, and Tuna also hired Jim Fassel, who led Big Blue to Super Bowl XXXV, as an assistant in 1991 before quitting as Giants coach.

"That's a testament to the type of talent that Bill could discover," Martin said.

Carson also noted that some of Parcells' former players are now making their marks in the coaching ranks. Former fullback Maurice Carthon was recently named offensive coordinator in Cleveland, while many consider former linebacker - and current Patriots assistant - Pepper Johnson to be future coordinator material as well.

"Bill's coaches all have the same mindset," Carson said. "They want their players to play physically and be mentally and intellectually prepared."

Parcells' track record as mentor isn't flawless, though. You'll recall that both head-coaching busts Chris Palmer (5-27 in two years in Cleveland) and Ray Handley (14-18 in two seasons with the Giants) learned from the Master Tuna, as did one-year Jets head coach Al Groh, who walked away after blowing a 9-4 start in 2000.

DREW'S RUSE

All the talk of Drew Bledsoe landing in Dallas is coming from Bledsoe - and Bledsoe alone. Sources in Dallas say the club has yet to even fully compile its offseason list of available free agents. While admitting possible interest in Bledsoe, who was released by Buffalo this week, the Cowboys certainly don't appear as sold on him as he is them.

As for Bledsoe coming to the Jets, he'd have to have a major change of heart for that to happen. He still thinks he can start, and wants - at the very least - an opportunity to compete for the starting spot. He would not get that from the Jets, who are committed to Chad Pennington as their No. 1 guy.

BEARS COOL ON KURT

Another quarterback looking for work - soon-to-be-ex-Giant Kurt Warner - definitely isn't the slam-dunk in Chicago that everyone seems to think. A Chicago source told The Post that Bears coach Lovie Smith - Warner's former coordinator while with the Rams - isn't sold on the 33-year-old. Other possible destinations for Warner include the Bucs, if they release Brian Griese, the Lions and the Dolphins. Like Bledsoe, Warner needs a solid offensive line to be successful. Both players hold the ball far too long before releasing it.

PIOLI EYES GIANTS

From the NFL rumor mill comes this juicy tidbit. Those in the know in New England are speculating that Pats VP of player personnel Scott Pioli has a master plan that just might include biding his time until Giants GM Ernie Accorsi steps down. Pioli, another rising star and a certain future GM, turned down offers from the Browns and Seahawks this offseason to be interviewed for each club's GM vacancy.

CAN LOSE 'EM ALL

Harry Carson flew down to Georgia last Monday to witness history - albeit not the kind he would have preferred. Carson's son, Donald, is a member of the Savannah State basketball squad that just completed an 0-28 season, becoming the first school since Prairie View A&M in 1991-92 (and only the second in the last 50 years) to finish a Division-I season without a victory. Carson's son, a 6-4 senior, averaged 12.8 points per game for the record-breaking Tigers.

WHERE WAS QUINCY? JETS DIDN'T KNOW

Say what they will, the Jets had absolutely no idea where Quincy Carter was during their playoff run. First, they said he was sick, then tending to his ailing mother. While parts of both alibis may be true, no one in the organization had a clue where Carter actually was.

A Dallas source said he wasn't surprised by Carter's disappearing act, since he pulled a similar stunt while with the Cowboys. Carter is reportedly in a treatment center after a drug relapse and being diagnosed with bipolar disorder.

As for Herman Edwards' statement that he'd take Carter back as the club's No. 2 QB, don't believe that for a second. A Jets source told The Post the team wants nothing to do with the troubled Carter and is just hoping to help the free agent land on his feet somewhere else in the league.

did you have to copy all that other junk?

248006[/snapback]

Thanks, I like all that other junk....any NFL news is good this time of year....

I have contended, since the season ended that Bledsoe will not end up in Dallas. I honestly do not believe that Parcells thinks all that highly of Bledsoe. The two could not stand eachother when they were together in New England, and it was not until many years later that they expressed their mutual respect for one another. Much time had passed, they made nice for the puff pieces on the pre-game shows, but I don't buy for one moment that Parcells thinks Bledsoe is one of "his guys". Vinny, although 8 years older, makes more sense for the Cowboys. He knows the offense, we already know Parcells likes him, and he would likely come much cheaper than Bledsoe.

I will not be shocked if Bledsoe looks around, sees that nobody will promise him a starting job, and hang up the cleats. In the end, he would have been best off swallowing his pride, and returning to Buffalo. The only teams I can see Bledsoe possibly signing with are Cleveland or Chicago. Chicago, however, has a very promising young guy in Rex Grossman, and I have not really heard anything to indicate the Browns are interested. Given the way the Bledsoe performed against Crennels defenses the past three years, I would be surprised if he was willing to pony up too much money for Bledsoe...

Thanks, I like all that other junk....any NFL news is good this time of year....

I have contended, since the season ended that Bledsoe will not end up in Dallas.  I honestly do not believe that Parcells thinks all that highly of Bledsoe.  The two could not stand eachother when they were together in New England, and it was not until many years later that they expressed their mutual respect for one another.  Much time had passed, they made nice for the puff pieces on the pre-game shows, but I don't buy for one moment that Parcells thinks Bledsoe is one of "his guys".  Vinny, although 8 years older, makes more sense for the Cowboys.  He knows the offense, we already know Parcells likes him, and he would likely come much cheaper than Bledsoe. 

I will not be shocked if Bledsoe looks around, sees that nobody will promise him a starting job, and hang up the cleats.  In the end, he would have been best off swallowing his pride, and returning to Buffalo.  The only teams I can see Bledsoe possibly signing with are Cleveland or Chicago.  Chicago, however, has a very promising young guy in Rex Grossman, and I have not really heard anything to indicate the Browns are interested.  Given the way the Bledsoe performed against Crennels defenses the past three years, I would be surprised if he was willing to pony up too much money for Bledsoe...

248029[/snapback]

Dallas is the least likely destination for Drew since Parcells knows firsthand what a turd Drew really is. Drew will go where the coaches are mesmerized by his big arm and big name and have an aversion to closely reviewing game tapes of the last few years.

Dallas is the least likely destination for Drew since Parcells knows firsthand what a turd Drew really is. Drew will go where the coaches are mesmerized by his big arm and big name and have an aversion to closely reviewing game tapes of the last few years.

248112[/snapback]

Beat that dead horse buddy! BEAT IT!!!! YEAHHHHH!!!

I have contended, since the season ended that Bledsoe will not end up in Dallas.  I honestly do not believe that Parcells thinks all that highly of Bledsoe.  The two could not stand eachother when they were together in New England, and it was not until many years later that they expressed their mutual respect for one another.  Much time had passed, they made nice for the puff pieces on the pre-game shows, but I don't buy for one moment that Parcells thinks Bledsoe is one of "his guys".  Vinny, although 8 years older, makes more sense for the Cowboys.  He knows the offense, we already know Parcells likes him, and he would likely come much cheaper than Bledsoe. 

I will not be shocked if Bledsoe looks around, sees that nobody will promise him a starting job, and hang up the cleats.  In the end, he would have been best off swallowing his pride, and returning to Buffalo.  The only teams I can see Bledsoe possibly signing with are Cleveland or Chicago.  Chicago, however, has a very promising young guy in Rex Grossman, and I have not really heard anything to indicate the Browns are interested.  Given the way the Bledsoe performed against Crennels defenses the past three years, I would be surprised if he was willing to pony up too much money for Bledsoe...

248029[/snapback]

Add to that the fact Vinny beat out Drew in every possible QB rating except for TD passes last season. :P

Here's my favorite quote:

While admitting possible interest in Bledsoe, who was released by Buffalo this week, the Cowboys certainly don't appear as sold on him as he is them.

I think it's completely possible that Drew does not get a starting job this season. I wonder what that will do to his immense ego.