Do we make an offer for TE Bubba Franks?

I would sure hope so but I just can't see TD signing another big contract unless we solve our LT situation first.

I know we're working on the trade for LT LJ Shelton but I think that has got to be done before we make an offer because it'll tie up too much of our cap.

Does anyone think we can do this before either re-signing or replacing Jonas?

Guest BackInDaDay

Franks is only 27 or 28, going into his 6th season. He's never missed a game with an injury, and he's a great 'go to' TE. Favre probably already let his feelings be known on Bubba, and I'd doubt they wouldn't match our offer, but as others have pointed out, the Pack has more OL worries.

This guy could be an enormous help to JP's developement.

You make a good point. If we are about $9 million or so under the cap we may need to figure out the o-line needs before we can go out and get some one else. If we signed Bubba Franks to a deal he would probably count anywhere from $2.5-4 million against the cap in '05, which would leave us with $5-6.5 million left.

Is that enough to sign a LT and all of our other needs, probably not. But as it stands Bubba is on the market for the next 7 days (I believe thats how the transition tag works), so if we can work out a deal for Shelton or another LT within the first couple of days of FA we would have a shot to seriously consider making an offer to Franks.

I think this should be our FIRST course of action in Free Agency.  If we can trade Henry for Shelton I would like to see us go after Franks immediately.

247974[/snapback]

That's my thinking as well but if we sign Franks then we've got pull of the Shelton trade and that makes us desperate buyers. If we can't pull that trade off then we're faced with drafting an OT in the 2nd or moving Mike to LT and signing a RT like Stockar McDougla of DET.

It just seems like our offseason will hinge on this Shelton trade and I can't see us getting that done anytime soon.

That's my thinking as well but if we sign Franks then we've got pull of the Shelton trade and that makes us desperate buyers.  If we can't pull that trade off then we're faced with drafting an OT in the 2nd or moving Mike to LT and signing a RT like Stockar McDougla of DET.

It just seems like our offseason will hinge on this Shelton trade and I can't see us getting that done anytime soon.

247982[/snapback]

Looks like the deal is done already!!!!

Doesnt mean much, that how we got Spikes too.

248050[/snapback]

tagging franks is an issue we should all be interested in........

if we decide to offer franks a contract, the packers will have 7 days to match.........count on them taking the full 7 days to make their decision.......thus, it does two things to us:

1) ties up salary cap room

2) takes us out of the market for a TE for those 7 days

if we make an offer to franks and they match we may walk away with nothing if the other good options are snatched up in the meantime.......

Remember that Green Bay is currently OVER the cap (projected by $3 mil).

The Bills do have a little more wiggle room IF they can lock up Shelton/Henry deal

and

Renegotiate Mike Williams to free up space.

I stil see jennings walking BUT the franchising of Jennings does intrigue me since the market for LT's is getting bigger every day (limited resource and highly regarded position). One can only figure that if TD can trade Peerless that he can do the same for Jennings. BUT the bills will need to juggle contracts I think to do all of this.

Clumping Platelets?? can you speculate on the possibility of

Trade + Franchising + offer for Franks?