Teague to LT?

JCBoston

This idea was floated in one of the Sportsline articles on the TBD page.

I know Teague was the LT in Denver before coming here. Was he any good? Is this viable?

I suppose this would depend on the C's that are available. Anyone have any ideas?

This idea was floated in one of the Sportsline articles on the TBD page. 

I know Teague was the LT in Denver before coming here.  Was he any good? Is this viable?

I suppose this would depend on the C's that are available. Anyone have any ideas?

247758[/snapback]

While sacks against alone can not be the sole measuring stick for a LT let me give you Teague's total for the 2001 season 11.25 By comparison Jonas Jennings has given up 13.50 in the last three seasons combined (he gave up 0 sacks in 2001 but spent that season as our RT). For those that were wondering LJ Shelton gave up a total of 17.00 between 2001-2003 (Shelton gave up 4 sacks last season in 12 games at RT).

According to ESPN insider, Teague is a candidate to be cut also, they have some interesting stuff to say about L.J. Shelton

They say shelton has overrated athletic ability and nagging injuries which make him a candidate to be cut. I dont understand the fuss about us trading for him. Yea, he's a replacement for JJ, but is he really a suitable one?

Insider story

According to ESPN insider, Teague is a candidate to be cut also, they have some interesting stuff to say about L.J. Shelton

They say shelton has overrated athletic ability and nagging injuries which make him a candidate to be cut.  I dont understand the fuss about us trading for him.  Yea, he's a replacement for JJ, but is he really a suitable one? 

Insider story

247810[/snapback]

Someone posted the Insider assessment the other day and in regard to the rationale stated for some of the Bills on the list and who were not on the list they seemed to really be missing the boat so their cut on other players is questionable at best.

For example they labeled Teague as a cap casualty which is fine as obviously we all want better C play. However, his cap hit is one of lowest on the OL and little from making him a casualty. If not good enough play is your main measure along with cap implications, I was surprised to not see MW on their potential casualty list. Whether you judge his cap hit to be the $6.3 million which are the low confirmed statements of his cap hit or certainly the $9.3 million which is the higher declaration of his cap hit from the crediible source Clumpy, then the Bills may have to make him a casualty if he will not restructure because his play even at RT even though greatly improved by the carrots/sticks of Bill's coaches is no wher near the top 10 OL cap hit he will have.

Clearly Teague was not adequate at LT for Denver, but certainly it is reasonable to judge him an improved OL player since he has grasped the mental part of the C game quite well. He had initial problems multi-tasking in 2002 as he seemed to have trouble doing the line call, doing snaps (particularly shotgun) and blocking DETs all at the same time. However, most feel that he is better at these tasks and it has been shown as his embarssing failures to deal with bull rushing DTs has decreased.

As far as runblocking he has been the C on OLs that have provided the blocking for 1000 yard rushers three years in a row and bad mouth this all you want but it ain't chopped liver.

Injury issues provide a lead reason why you may want to look elsewhere at C as he missed significant starts last year. Yet, the injury issue also must be taken into account when assessing his play in his last year at Denver and the Bills were probably correct in judging him to be a smart player who could be signed cheaply rather than a failed player as his last year at Denver showed him recovered well enough to play (but not to star after he missed a year).

As best as I can tell cutting Teague at this point while our LT situation is up in the air would be quite silly as it saves you little money and LT is up in the air.

I am actually intrigued to give Teague a fair shot at playing C, because I expect his play to improve with Losman as the QB rather than Bledsoe. The Bills should be able to employ more of a movin pocket with Losman and offer even more of a QB draw running threat both of which will make the C job easier because DTs will need to wait and see what the QB is doing instead of commiting totally to the bullrush as they did with Bledsoe and the static pocket he liked best.

As best as I can tell Insider has the typical limitation of any national piec that it is a good tool because it is a mile wide, but it is really on;y an inch deep when you get into a specfic team.