Ron Edwards

Frez

He already does on a substantial number of plays, and imo, is a better pass rusher.

PW is not an every down player. This does NOT mean that I would not want to keep him. What I do mean is that I would rather that the Bills do not tie up 4 million dollars or so of precious cap space on Pat Williams.

If he comes cheap, great! If not, I would prefer to let him walk. Jmo.

I doubt it because Edwards was not an adquate contributor for his first 3 years as a Bill:

2001- Inactive most of season as he proved to be only player selected through 5th round clice Brandon Spoon who proved incapable of playing that year.

2002- made a nice jump to get into the starting line-up but proved to be inadequate in that role.

2003- replaced by FA Sam Adams and this accompanied a world of difference in our ability to stop the run and a better D overall. The difference this substitution made was seen in the NYJ game where they ran all over us with Adams out and Edwards also failed to answer the call due to injuries to step up.

2004 saw Edwards actually step up and contribute in a big way as Adams was benched in one game and Edwards then stepped up to log a couple of sacks as a reserve. Edwards continued to be a good reserves logging a couple of nice hits but Adams proved to be a Pro Bowl performer.

At best Edwards is unproven. Though he finally showed why he was worth having this year, I still think he is more of a Sean Moran who is a great player to come in as a sub and let loose for a few plays a game. Hpwever, there is simply mo good reason based on his past play to think he can perform like he did in spots last year for a full game unless he dials it back to pace himself.

It would be a tremendous risk to go with Edwards as a starter and I would not do it unless Anderson (or perhaps Bannan) showed me they can step in and give him the blow he needs or even start if he plays like he did in his first three years rather than like he did in spots last year.

>>>>It would be a tremendous risk to go with Edwards as a starter and I would not do it unless Anderson (or perhaps Bannan) showed me they can step in and give him the blow he needs or even start if he plays like he did in his first three years rather than like he did in spots last year.<<<<

Agreed. This will be a complicated decision for the coaches to make.

This will be one interesting offseason, that is for sure.

Krumrie appears to have done a good job getting into Edwards head in his limited role. In that limited role he showed the good feet that allow him to bust gaps, maybe better then any of our interior linemen. It's run support where the big drop-off comes- Williams is one of the best run support interior linemen in the NFL while Ron Edwards isn't even on the map. His starting in place of Williams would IMO precede us becoming victim to more effective rushing attacks on Sundays.