John LeClair

ofiba

I'm watching this sports show on Philly TV and LeClair just said a salary cap is a pitfall and he says he thinks the players in the NFL aren't happy with their current agreement. The guy basically called him out and said how the NFL was the most exciting sport because of the salary cap and MLB only has a few teams that compete due to no salary cap. The guy is going off on LeClair right now and flat out told him he thinks the players are wrong. Pretty funny listening to LeClair's reasoning.

I'm watching this sports show on  Philly TV and LeClair just said a salary cap is a pitfall and he says he thinks the players in the NFL aren't happy with their current agreement.  The guy basically called him out and said how the NFL was the most exciting sport because of the salary cap and MLB only has a few teams that compete due to no salary cap.  The guy is going off on LeClair right now and flat out told him he thinks the players are wrong.  Pretty funny listening to LeClair's reasoning.

247054[/snapback]

awesome man

what channel?

I'm watching this sports show on  Philly TV and LeClair just said a salary cap is a pitfall and he says he thinks the players in the NFL aren't happy with their current agreement.  The guy basically called him out and said how the NFL was the most exciting sport because of the salary cap and MLB only has a few teams that compete due to no salary cap.  The guy is going off on LeClair right now and flat out told him he thinks the players are wrong.  Pretty funny listening to LeClair's reasoning.

247054[/snapback]

A few months back another NHLer (Trevor Liden I believe) went off saying that NFL Players weren't happy with their current CBA with the NFL.

Troy Vincent -- President of Players Inc (NFLPA) -- came out and pretty much made the hockey player sound like an a-hole. He said that NFL players couldn't be happier with their current CBA.

247054[/snapback]

leclair's right. salary caps suck, and i think he would be much happier working for a living rather than having his millions limited to just one or 2 per year by some nasty old salary cap. i'm sure that if there was no such thing as the nhl he'd be worth 10x as much as a ceo of some major corporation.

!@#$er.

leclair's right.  salary caps suck, and i think he would be much happier working for a living rather than having his millions limited to just one or 2 per year by some nasty old salary cap.  i'm sure that if there was no such thing as the nhl he'd be worth 10x as much as a ceo of some major corporation.

!@#$er.

247087[/snapback]

At the end of the show they talked about a business LeClair is starting and the guy on the show said "You are actually going to work for a living now?" I think LeClair took it as a joke but the guy meant it. He was really upset with the greedy players.

At the end of the show they talked about a business LeClair is starting and the guy on the show said "You are actually going to work for a living now?"  I think LeClair took it as a joke but the guy meant it.  He was really upset with the greedy players.

They should have asked LeClair if his employees will be making as much as him.

I hate when athletes try to equate their "earnings" situations to real life working stiffs like us. Pro Sports leagues IMO are fantasy worlds. The owners invested millions in their teams and it's their rulebook to change and modify as they see fit. The owners have a right to make money on their teams not lose millions. They aren't running teams as a charity for godssake! I really don't see where the NHLPA has any leverage throughout this whole mess?!? LeClair and other NHL'ers should be happy to even make $150K a year to play hockey. They still get to fly on private charters....stay in fine hotels....get per diem money for meals...and get to play a game they love and have celebrity status.

I hate when athletes try to equate their "earnings" situations to real life working stiffs like us.  Pro Sports leagues IMO are fantasy worlds.  The owners invested millions in their teams and it's their rulebook to change and modify as they see fit. The owners have a right to make money on their teams not lose millions.  They aren't running teams as a charity for godssake!  I really don't see where the NHLPA has any leverage throughout this whole mess?!?  LeClair and other NHL'ers should be happy to even make $150K a year to play hockey.  They still get to fly on private charters....stay in fine hotels....get per diem money for meals...and get to play a game they love and have celebrity status.

247236[/snapback]

LeClair argued that he didn't want someone just to decide an number that would be a fair salary to pay a player. If someone would pay me 80 thousand dollars a year to play a sport I'd do it. These people aren't happy with millions!

I will gladly watch a new Hockey league with replacement players and a hard salary cap of 40 million next season.

If the pros never want to come back I wouldn't care even a tiny bit. I will gladly enjoy it when they all start to cross over and accept new cheaper contracts.

However no matter what happens Bettman needs to be canned as the NHL's commisioner

The players are going to kick themselves when this thing is finally over. Every month that this thing goes on, they will lose more and more. The next offer from the NHL is going to be worse than the last one. I wouldn't be surprised if the players lose guaranteed contracts, arbitration rights, and a salary cap between $30-35 million, with some teams cutting spending into the low 20's.

There is no way that the NHL offers close to $42 million again when talks start up again.

I will gladly watch a new Hockey league with replacement players and a hard salary cap of 40 million next season.

If the pros never want to come back I wouldn't care even a tiny bit. I will gladly enjoy it when they all start to cross over and accept new cheaper contracts.

However no matter what happens Bettman needs to be canned as the NHL's commisioner

247366[/snapback]

The NHL players are out of their minds. They're turning down a deal by which 1/2 of the teams of the league will lose money as opposed to 2/3. Can someone explain to these guys what happens when that's the case? Does Bethlehem Steel ring a bell? Have they not figured out that wihtout the TV revenue of the NFL, NBA, MLB, they cannot possibly hope to continue to be paid like those guys?

I find it hard to fault Bettman and the owners. They needed to draw a line in the sand... but if they were prepared to write off the season anyway, they shouldn't have backed off to $40 or $42 or $45 of however many million they are rumored to have offered. What I do fault them for is that they should have tied it to TV and gate revenue, rolled back all salaries and ticket prices and instituted a method of profit sharing (where profits are available) and stuck to their guns.

I'd much rather pay AHL prices to watch the AHL game, than pay NHL prices for an NHL game. The difference in entertainment value cannot possibly justify 5x to 10x the difference in price. If the NHL decided to promote the entire AHL, and keep the pay structure and ticket prices, they'd have a winner on their hands. My ass would definitely be in a seat watching. If the current NHL'ers don't like it, get with the program or go play in Sweden, Chech, Russia or wherever.

The players are going to kick themselves when this thing is finally over.  Every month that this thing goes on, they will lose more and more.  The next offer from the NHL is going to be worse than the last one.  I wouldn't be surprised if the players lose guaranteed contracts, arbitration rights, and a salary cap between $30-35 million, with some teams cutting spending into the low 20's.

There is no way that the NHL offers close to $42 million again when talks start up again.

247386[/snapback]

That's OK though. Because in the eyes of guys like Mike Peca, they will have stood strong and united in their core beliefs. Kudos to the 50 or so NHL players that are the mouthpiece of the NHLPA for standing up for your cause and !@#$ over the other 600+ players who will now have to work in the local donut shop to make some money.