Greg Roman Bills HC in 2017

TDRupp

I'm not sure I buy it. If the Bills decide to let Rex go after this year, I think they put a lot of emphasis on the intangibles. By that, I mean looking at the entire package (i.e., discipline, organizational skills, etc.), as opposed to zeroing in on a guy who is known to be particularly good/innovative on one side of the ball. That's not to say that it won't be a coordinator, but I've never heard anything specific (good or bad) as it relates to Roman's leadership abilities.

Edited by Bills Fan in MD

Let me preface this by saying that I am not rooting for this. I want Rex and his new D coach hires to work so the Bills improve on D and go to the playoffs next year. Would love it as everyone here would.

That said I have doubts and concerns about Rex bringing in Rob Ryan (shaky track record) and Ed Reed (unproven coaching commodity) and losing Donnie Henderson. He was, IMO, one of the best coaches on the Bills. I was a fan of his coaching style, his results with McKelvin, Darby, Gilmore and Aaron Williams (conversion to Safety ) and liked his interviews (okay, least important!). So while I am generally a Bills koolaid drinking fan, I am not feeling it right now.

If Rex does not get the Bills into the Playoffs next year or significantly improve our D to be top 12, I would be okay with moving on from Rex and promoting Greg Roman to HC. I prefer stability and keeping Rex and Roman, but if Rex's D struggles we may have to move on. If Roman's star is shining bright after 2016, I would pull a Lovie Smith on Rex and go with Roman.

It sure would be an ugly offseason in 2017 if we retained Rex and a struggling D's coaching staff and let Roman walk. Hopefully that is a moot point and all goes well.

Go Bills!!

If the Bills chose to move on from Rex, I sincerely doubt you will see anyone from his staff remain in any capacity with the team. I doubt Whaley would keep his job either. If Rex goes it will most likely be an entire house cleaning

If Ryan is gone, I'm guessing Roman is gone as well. The team isn't going to magically have the best offense in the NFL because of Roman while the team loses football games. They had some decent offensive showings this year, but nothing earth shattering or dominant in any way. If Roman gets a HC job, it won't be with the Bills. It will be because the team has success next year and Tyrod demonstrates that he can continue to improve under Roman's system. If that doesn't happen, both coaches are done.

I would think that would be a strong consideration if next year plays out similarly to this year.

My biggest concern with Roman is his philosophy seems to be aligned with Rex in that he want to run the ball a lot. Philosophically I believe that is not the way you succeed in the NFL.

"Philosophically", unless you have a top 10 passer, you run the ball a lot. Hell, Carolina, Seattle, Arizona, KC and Vikes run it as much as we do... they turned out pretty well.... we should model ourselves on those teams ... run it , play defense like Caroline and Seattle and throw it over the top like Az. Now that's some football... that's what we were doing this year.. just ran out of games by the time they got it down... next year will be better

Edited by 8and8-->NoMore