[closed]An unscientific case for giving up on this season ...

Juror#8

There is a typically understood rule that you don't start threads while the game is on; however since this game may already be over I felt as if there was no time like the present:

If you read back through my posts over the last 5 years I mentioned the possibility of tanking the season for draft position. The erudite on this board quickly responded that the team "is learning how to win" and that valiantly winning meaningless games provided some psychological edge that could be beneficial in later seasons.

It's been 3 years since my last "tank the season" gem. But I'm advocating for it again. It needs to happen. We haven't "learned to win" and that's silly anyway since football teams are such a dynamic assembly of individual parts that leave, get traded, and are cut. A nucleus typically stays together 3-5 years and that's if you're lucky. So a team "learning how to win" denies the reality that in football, there is so much fluidity and so many moving parts that any "lesson" becomes attenuated at best.

Then there is the claim by the more learned on the board that "with the same idiots drafting it doesn't matter if we pick earlier we will !@#$ up the selection anyway ..."

Here is the issue with that, I would much rather trust my odds that an idiot can successfully select the diamond if there are 20 diamonds amongst 100 pieces of coal versus 10 diamonds amongst 200 pieces of coal. Seriously, simple probability. Nothing overly complex. Whether you think that our front office has the capacity to draft well or not, the chances are still better that we will find better, more meaningful talent (even if the f.o. closes their eyes and picks a random player card), if we draft 7th versus 15th. Because more available talent exists in the earlier part of the draft.

And also, who is to say who will be making the decisions in April? **** Whaley, Brandon, Rex, et cetera could all be gone.

So that's why I say, play some scrubs and evaluate for next season. I know they won't do that, but it should happen. Because it is yet another rebuilding year. And this team needs young talent in some critical positions. Badly.

There is a typically understood rule that you don't start threads while the game is on; however since this game may already be over I felt as if there was no time like the present:

If you read back through my posts over the last 5 years I mentioned the possibility of tanking the season for draft position. The erudite on this board quickly responded that the team "is learning how to win" and that valiantly winning meaningless games provided some psychological edge that could be beneficial in later seasons.

It's been 3 years since my last "tank the season" gem. But I'm advocating for it again. It needs to happen. We haven't "learned to win" and that's silly anyway since football teams are such a dynamic assembly of individual parts that leave, get traded, and are cut. A nucleus typically stays together 3-5 years and that's if you're lucky. So a team "learning how to win" denies the reality that in football, there is so much fluidity and so many moving parts that any "lesson" becomes attenuated at best.

Then there is the claim by the more learned on the board that "with the same idiots drafting it doesn't matter if we pick earlier we will !@#$ up the selection anyway ..."

Here is the issue with that, I would much rather trust my odds that an idiot can successfully select the diamond if there are 20 diamonds amongst 100 pieces of coal versus 10 diamonds amongst 200 pieces of coal. Seriously, simple probability. Nothing overly complex. Whether you think that our front office has the capacity to draft well or not, the chances are still better that we will find better, more meaningful talent (even if the f.o. closes their eyes and picks a random player card), if we draft 7th versus 15th. Because more available talent exists in the earlier part of the draft.

And also, who is to say who will be making the decisions in April? **** Whaley, Brandon, Rex, et cetera could all be gone.

So that's why I say, play some scrubs and evaluate for next season. I know they won't do that, but it should happen. Because it is yet another rebuilding year. And this team needs young talent in some critical positions. Badly.

Only if Rex stays. With a 43 DC, we aren't rebuilding.

[This is an automated response]<br /><br />This subject matter is being currently being discussed or has already been discussed in a previous thread. <br /><br />Please consider using the "search" function before starting new topics. <br /><br />Thank you.