Alex Bannister WR - Free agent

He was very raw coming out of college. Now he is still raw but has now been in the NFL for 4 seasons. Last season he was injured.

In 2003 he was a probowl gunner on special teams

He hasn't been used much as a receiver in Seattle much because they have 3 quality receivers ahead of him and he is still developing as a WR

The Bills brought him in last offseason for a look but would have had to give up a mid round pick. If they were to sign him this offseason they would not have to give up anything.

Because he is coming off of a season of injury he could come very cheap.

I think this kid has potential & would be a good pickup for the Bills

I remember the talk last season. The only thing I wonder about is why, with that kind of size/speed combination, Seattle didn't try to do more with him as a WR. Surely, it doesn't seem as if it would take that long for a raw receiver to learn the pro game with good coaching.

I remember his name being verrrrrrrrrry popular around here last year. I say it is a good possibility. Let our coaches look at him. If they really are through with Reed and/or don't have confidence in Aiken to step up, then by all means give him a look. As long as they determine he is worth a deal and his injury isn't serious then I would have no problem with an extra weapon for JP.

At the very minimum, he would be another excellent addition to the best Special Teams unit in the NFL.

I would absolutely give him a look  :lol:

240939[/snapback]

The only question I might have then is why is he still available. I remember the talk about this guy last year, excellent STer, big upside but why didn't we pick him up last year?

He sounded good on paper when we didn't have any returners, but now he seems like a coulda been.

What I have to add to this is that I hate having our best cover guy returning punts. I have been pleasently bothered by the fact that both of our returners are our starting corners!

I don't know what bothers me more Clements returing a punt that he should be fair catching or the fact that he is in there at all.

I don't know what bothers me more Clements returing a punt  that he should be fair catching or the fact that he is in there at all.

240961[/snapback]

I think Fast Freddie err.. Jonathan Smith will get every chance this summer to win the punt return job.

Bannister is an interesting prospect becaus eof his size, and the reason we didn't get him last year was because we couldn't promise him a strong role in the offense. ESPN has Bannister listed as 6'5" and 207 pounds;

I am 6'1" 215 and I would get the crap kicked out of me if I stepped on the field :lol:

I would wager a bet the because of his slender build and inexperience; being barried in the depth chart in Seattle; that we would be better off drafting a tall prospect...

Some of the taller prospects that I have found; who would surely be multi year projects, are:

Chauncey Stovell - Florida State 6'2 216 4.7

Princell Brockenbrough - Pittsburg 6'3 205 4.55

Brandon Rideau - Kansas 6'4 195 4.45

Matt Jones -Arkansas 6'6 237 4.65

Tommy Manus - Morgan State 6'5 230 4.65

Larry Brakins - Pearl River CC 6'5 220 4.55

Chase Lyman - California 6'4 210 4.45

I like th eidea of Matt Jones the best; he could be Mularkey's next SLASH!

I heard that he will work out with the QB's at the combine, but also even tried some long snapping....he is a guy who will do what ever just to be able to play football..... :lol:

He was very raw coming out of college. Now he is still raw but has now been in the NFL for 4 seasons. Last season he was injured.

In 2003 he was a probowl gunner on special teams

He hasn't been used much as a receiver in Seattle much because they have 3 quality receivers ahead of him and he is still developing as a WR

The Bills brought him in last offseason for a look but would have had to give up a mid round pick. If they were to sign him this offseason they would not have to give up anything.

Because he is coming off of a season of injury he could come very cheap.

I think this kid has potential & would be a good pickup for the Bills

240926[/snapback]

Physically, he looks the part, but here's a guy that couldn't crack the starting lineup at Seattle. This being the team who's receivers have the worst hands in the NFL. It wasn't just because of injuries.....

Just what we need, another "on paper" guy. Special teams player, yes, but his WR skills are questionable at best.

Based on a Sporting news profile prior to last season

6'5 207 age 25

Strengths:

Has great size and speed. Can make catches over his shoulder and win most jump balls. Isn't afraid to go over the middle. Plays with great intensity. Is an outstanding special teams player; went to the pro bowl last year

Weaknesses:

Needs polish and experience. Lacks an explosive first step and doesn't show great burst. Rounds off routes.

Bottom Line:

Bannister lacks lateral mobility and reliable hands, but could be an excellent #3 receiver in time.