DB to be announced gone tomorrow!!

JP-era

Now can we properly discuss who we get to backup Losman?  Or will people still chase you down and beat you with sticks if you bring it up?

240582[/snapback]

No...the loyalists will stay in denial until IT actually happens. You will have to wait with your Losman backup alternatives! :devil:

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

its that dam Terry Donahoe guy again,

According to a source in Bills management, Bledsoe was informed last week that he was out as the starting quarterback for 2005. General manager Terry Donahoe told Bledsoe that J.P. Losman, who will enter his second season in the fall, would be the No. 1 quarterback.

Bledsoe was offered the opportunity to remain with the team as a backup, which would have meant forgoing a $1 million bonus in March and cutting his salary from $3.3 million to about $1.5 million.

Bledsoe refused the request, saying he wanted to be a starter. He asked the Bills to cut him soon and allow him to become a free agent. The Bills said they would honor his request and probably release him in the next two weeks.

Apparently the last straw for Bills management was the final regular-season game against the Pittsburgh Steelers, a game the Bills needed to win to make the playoffs. Going against Steelers backups for most of the day, Bledsoe turned in an uninspired performance (16 for 30, 189 yards, 1 INT) and was sacked three times. On one of the sacks Bledsoe was blind-sided before fumbling the ball, which was returned for a touchdown in the fourth quarter.

Drew is gone

Now can we properly discuss who we get to backup Losman?  Or will people still chase you down and beat you with sticks if you bring it up?

240582[/snapback]

Probably the latter, how long did Flutie-fans keep bithcing? Sorry, but nothing short of a message board rules overhaul will keep the Bledsoe lovers from bashing this move for many months to come.

I choose to simply ignore it and talk what I want anyways.

So, Im all ears!

How about Kurt Warner? Yes over the hill, yes a statue, but he will at least settle for a backup job....ohh wait, forget him!

How about Mike McMahon, yes 2 hot heads at QB butboth are similar so at least the offensive scheme built around JP still applies to the #2. I think that may be important, to have a scheme that fits #1 and #2. How about Akili Smith if he plays well in NFL Europe?

I love Jim Kelly, but 2 years out of the league he claims he is still better than 80% of the QB's on Sportsline with McG.

Where do these guys get this stuff? They seriously arent the best evaluators of what they are and are not and can and cannot do.

240576[/snapback]

I think that has to do with the fact that NFL QBs have been told since they were 12 years old that they are football gods. It is hard for a lot of these players to come back to reality when they age and their ability starts to diminish.

I think that has to do with the fact that NFL QBs have been told since they were 12 years old that they are football gods. It is hard for a lot of these players to come back to reality when they age and their ability starts to diminish.

240594[/snapback]

Amen

Probably the latter, how long did Flutie-fans keep bithcing? Sorry, but nothing short of a message board rules overhaul will keep the Bledsoe lovers from bashing this move for many months to come.

I choose to simply ignore it and talk what I want anyways.

So, Im all ears!

How about Kurt Warner? Yes over the hill, yes a statue, but he will at least settle for a backup job....ohh wait, forget him!

How about Mike McMahon, yes 2 hot heads at QB butboth are similar so at least the offensive scheme built around JP still applies to the #2. I think that may be important, to have a scheme that fits #1 and #2. How about Akili Smith if he plays well in NFL Europe?

240592[/snapback]

To me, the Bills backup plans revolve around whether or not Matthews retires or not. I think if he wants to stay, he gets a 2-year deal at the vet minimum, maybe a little more and he goes into next season as the #2 guy. Wyche talked very highly of his ability to grasp the system and I'd be content with him as our backup. Then, if the retain Matthews, I see the Bills drafting a rookie to be the 3rd QB and a player to be eventually groomed to be Losman's backup.

Bringing in a guy like Kurt Warner wont work because Warner wants to start. Bringing in Mike McMahon might distract Losman since McMahon has potential to be a starter. What we need is a safe, solid backup QB who knows his role and can help Losman instead of distract him when Losman trips up.

With all the talk about a backup for JP I see people talking about bringing in a similar style qb to "fit the system" I don't necessarily agree with this as one quick look around the league would seem the opposite is true.

Atl

Qb- Mike Vick Backup- Matt Schaub

Philly

Qb- Donovan Mcnabb Backup- Ty Detemer or maybe koy I forget which detmer

Detroit

qb- Joey Harrington backup- Mike McMahon

Ne

qb- Tom Brady backup- Rohan Davey

Minn

qb- Daunte Culpepper backup- gus frerotte

I was one of the people hoping that bledsoe wouldn't be realeased as I felt our best shot at the playoffs was with drew, however it is time to hand the reigns over to the kid. It got me thinking about backups. What type of qb do we want JP to be?

A Caretaker right? So I had an idea. What about bringing in the perfect caretaker qb who can show JP how to be unselfish an truly play within a system. That qbs name Trent Dilfer.

240594[/snapback]

Drew's most eroded skill in the last two years was his accuracy. In his first training camp and half season, he could thread the needle 30 or 40 yards downfield. The last two years, he could not do it. That, more than anything else, has led to his demise as the Bills starter, IMO.