Union and Management talking again

millbank

Initially a source said Bettman's announcement cancelling the season was set for Tuesday, but it was changed to Wednesday. It appears the reason was an unannounced meeting Monday between Bill Daly and Ted Saskin, the lead negotiators for the NHL and the NHLPA, a session confirmed by another source. Sportsnet has learned the meeting is being held in Buffalo, N.Y.

It appears that meeting did not solve anything, although it was still ongoing as of 6:45 p.m. EST

I wonder where in Buffalo would they meet?

Meeting In Buffalo

Eh, they're not really negotiating... they just wanna be comped while hitting the Anchor Bar (or maybe Duff's, considering how many of those hoserfolk live out Amherst way)

239317[/snapback]

Nah, they're headed across the Peace Bridge to partake in some...ahem...Canadian Culture....they need someplace with private...er, conference rooms...

Nah, they're headed across the Peace Bridge to partake in some...ahem...Canadian Culture....they need someplace with private...er, conference rooms...

239453[/snapback]

you could be right, looks like they did move over to the Canadian side of Falls

nHL executive vice-president Bill Daly and NHLPA senior director Ted Saskin met Monday for several hours in Niagara Falls, Ontario in a last-ditch attempt to save the season. The NHL released a statement saying no progress was made in the collective bargaining process, but offered no further comment. As in some previous meetings, Bettman and union chief Bob Goodenow were not in the room.

meeting

I've been reading alot on this whole topic of the NHL lockout of late. Experts are saying that it's not only going to be just this year. It may go into 2006 or 2007 as well. What's that mean? Basically that 1/3 of all the NHL teams (small markets ie. Buffalo) WILL become extinct. Which sucks.... With out the Sabres I'm done with hockey forever.

There was actually progress made as the NHLPA came off their "No Way in Hell will we ever accept a salary cap" stance.

They actually proposed a salary cap of $52 million not tied to league revenues that teams could go over 3 times in 6 years and if a team goes over they pay a 150% per dollar luxury tax. There was also a minimum of $32 million that teams could go under 3 times in 6 years.

NHL rejected that and countered with an offer of a $40 million cap. That was also rejected but if they are now talking about a deal with a hard cap then they should be able to meet in the middle.

I would guess that there was extreme pressure from the players placed on the NHLPA and Bob Goodenow to get a deal done and save their jobs, the league and not bust the union in the process. If there wasn't a season and a playoffs it would have gotten really, really ugly compared to what has been going on. I also would guess that a compromise will be made by tommorrow as Bettman has pushed back his press conference until tommorrow afternoon and there will be a hard salary cap of around $46-$48 million and there will be a season of 28-32 games starting sometime around February 28- March 2.