Cap space &a incentives question.

Gasjuggler

Is the your team cap # figured with or without incentives in contract? If without, what happens if incentive that are met by players puts you over? I believe Cassels, Incognito and others on Bills have incentives.

Only the "likely to be met" incentives. The others are trued up against the following year's.

I could be wrong and/or out of date, but my understanding is that incentives are either classified as likely or unlikely to be achieved. "Likely" incentives count toward the cap right away, and if they're not hit, you get a cap credit the following year. "Unlikely" incentives don't count unless they're hit, and come off the following year's cap when they do, so they can't immediately put you over.

If I recall correctly, there have been a few instances in the past where the NFL gave a team some pushback because the team was trying to classify incentives as unlikely that really weren't. I would assume that if it's close to 50/50, the incentive is supposed to be classified as likely.

There is a whole layer of detail about what does and doesn't get considered I'm not sharp enough to detail with confidence. From my memory, an incentive that was previously met counts, and then anything within a close margin of that. For example, all playing time incentives would be "likely to be met" if the player played all games the previous season.

Some more info here: https://www.reddit.com/r/nfl/comments/3icqh4/how_does_incentive_based_pay_affect_the_salary_cap/

In the case that there is a player who was injured the season before and the LTBE status can't be agreed upon due to not having a prior season baseline of performance then the determination goes to the CBA specified impartial arbitrator who makes the decision.
Edited by Matt in KC