(OT)Well I guess we'll see how much of a genius...

The only constant over the past 4 years for the Pats has been their coaching staff, with the loss of only a position coach or two. Now they're losing Weis, Crennel, and are about to lose Mangini, who Belichick wanted to replace Crennel, and whose interview for the Raiders' DC job last year he blocked because of that reason. They could also lose Pepper Johnson if they lowball him like they're doing Mangini. I've always been of the opinion that the loss of Weis would be huge, but I thought that Mangini would replace Crennel and that there would slight to no dropoff from Crennel, seeing as how Belichick was on him. Now they really don't seem to have many viable candidates to replace all 3 coaches, and as has been shown, the Pats have won big games without some of their big name players over the past 4 years.

http://patriots.bostonherald.com/patriots/...articleid=68207

The only constant over the past 4 years for the Pats has been their coaching staff, with the loss of only a position coach or two.  Now they're losing Weis, Crennel, and are about to lose Mangini, who Belichick wanted to replace Crennel, and whose interview for the Raiders' DC job last year he blocked because of that reason.  They could also lose Pepper Johnson if they lowball him like they're doing Mangini.  I've always been of the opinion that the loss of Weis would be huge, but I thought that Mangini would replace Crennel and that there would slight to no dropoff from Crennel, seeing as how Belichick was on him.  Now they really don't seem to have many viable candidates to replace all 3 coaches, and as has been shown, the Pats have won big games without some of their big name players over the past 4 years.

236704[/snapback]

I think the Pats bigger problem will be replacing Weis. Belichick is a DC at heart and could always resume those duties in addition to being the HC. Therefore losing Crennel, Mangini and/or Pepper Johnson would hurt, but not as much as Weis.

I think the Pats bigger problem will be replacing Weis.  Belichick is a DC at heart and could always resume those duties in addition to being the HC.  Therefore losing Crennel, Mangini and/or Pepper Johnson would hurt, but not as much as Weis.

I look at Belichick's day in Cleveland. He had an excellent DC in Saban. However his defenses were nowhere NEAR as good as the ones he's had in NE. I don't think the Pats will fall off the face of the earth, but I don't see the dominance anymore. But that's why they play the games.

The only constant over the past 4 years for the Pats has been their coaching staff, with the loss of only a position coach or two.  Now they're losing Weis, Crennel, and are about to lose Mangini, who Belichick wanted to replace Crennel, and whose interview for the Raiders' DC job last year he blocked because of that reason.  They could also lose Pepper Johnson if they lowball him like they're doing Mangini.  I've always been of the opinion that the loss of Weis would be huge, but I thought that Mangini would replace Crennel and that there would slight to no dropoff from Crennel, seeing as how Belichick was on him.  Now they really don't seem to have many viable candidates to replace all 3 coaches, and as has been shown, the Pats have won big games without some of their big name players over the past 4 years.

236704[/snapback]

He's won 3 super bowls as head coach of the Patriots. It will just make him even smarter if he wins again. And yes he is a genious no matter what when it comes to the knowledge and coaching of football.

I think the Pats bigger problem will be replacing Weis.  Belichick is a DC at heart and could always resume those duties in addition to being the HC.  Therefore losing Crennel, Mangini and/or Pepper Johnson would hurt, but not as much as Weis.

236798[/snapback]

funny enough, i've heard rumours belichek may take over the OC job, not the DC.........either way, i think it's a dumb move on his part to put either job on his plate........

well i think he's been their QB coach the past few years.........someone feel free to correct me if i'm wrong.........

236832[/snapback]

No, you're right. He said it was the time he spent as the QB coach that allowed him to see Brady's potential over Drew's...that's why it was so easy for him to trade Drew within the division.