Left Tackle

BillsNYC

If you had a choice of any AVAILABLE left tackles in the league this offseason, and money was NOT an option, rank the top 3 you would sign.

234703[/snapback]

1) pace

2) jennings

3) jones

jennings has 4 years on jones and will be a better LT over the length of the deal........i think jones' play will begin to decline very quickly, whereas jennings has not peaked as of yet.......

1) Jones

2) Pace

3) Jennings

That's based on play. Jones and Pace are both notorious pains in the butt when it comes to money which REALLY bothers me.

I would like the coaching staff (specifically McNally) to evaluate Kareem McKenzie (NYJ) and Tom Ashworth (NE) as possible candidates to switch from right to left tackles.

The alternative would be to get a guy like McKenzie, Ashworth, Ryan Diem, or maybe Stocker McDougle to play RT and (gulp!) move Mike Williams to the position that he was originally drafted.

If you had a choice of any AVAILABLE left tackles in the league this offseason, and money was NOT an option, rank the top 3 you would sign.

Take into consideration age, and that the contract would probably be lengthy...

234703[/snapback]

Of the available players there seems to be a first tier of Jones, Pace and Thomas (in that order as I have seen them on occaision but have not watched their play closely enough to make me drop dead certain about my judgments on these players.

Jennings heads up a second tier of players at LT but his inability to play a full season during his entire career and getting credit for starting a number of games which he was unable to finish because of a range of nicks from concussions, to ankle sprains to what have you knocks his ranking as an LT down a peg and even makes it just as reasonable to try to switch an available RT like Stockar McDougle of the Lions or Victor Riley of the Saints who have started all 16 games the last two seasons to LT if you have a spot to fill.

Jones, Pace and Thomas are all within a couple of years of each other in age. Jones gets the nod for being honored by coaches, players and fans with a Pro Bowl start this year, though Pace got the start last year but made the team both times. Thomas is a bit younger but has been subject to nicks and has missed a game each of the last two seasons.

Of the available players there seems to be a first tier of Jones, Pace and Thomas (in that order as I have seen them on occaision but have not watched their play closely enough to make me drop dead certain about my judgments on these players.

Jennings heads up a second tier of players at LT but his inability to play a full season during his entire career and getting credit for starting a number of games which he was unable to finish because of a range of nicks from concussions, to ankle sprains to what have you knocks his ranking as an LT down a peg and even makes it just as reasonable to try to switch an available RT like Stockar McDougle of the Lions or Victor Riley of the Saints who have started all 16 games the last two seasons to LT if you have a spot to fill.

Jones, Pace and Thomas are all within a couple of years of each other in age.  Jones gets the nod for being honored by coaches, players and fans with a Pro Bowl start this year, though Pace got the start last year but made the team both times.  Thomas is a bit younger but has been subject to nicks and has missed a game each of the last two seasons.

234844[/snapback]

IMO, Tra Thomas isn't a good enough pass protecter allowing an average of 6.5 sacks per season with a QB as mobile and difficult to sack as McNabb.

I looked at Victor Riley's numbers earlier and thought he was a decent candidate until I saw the following stat line.....

16 G/15 GS/12 Pen for 85 Yds/8 False Starts/3 Holding/11 Sacks Allowed for 74.50 Yds

Last season was by far his worst and it was a contract year. That scares me.

1.) Jones

2.) Pace

3.) Jennings

I would rather have either Jones or Pace over Jennings, but thats is going to cost some cash.

Knowing that 2007 is a non salary cap year it maybe possible to give a big payday year to one of these top OT's in 2007 and salvage the cap hits across the rest of the years to something more palatable

Well according to the Scouts insider it is a huge drop between Pace/JOnes and # with Jennings. They have Pace at 95 and Jones at 92, while Jennings is only 1 point ahead of Mcdougle at 76.

Now as I said sometime back I would prefer spending less on Mckenzie who seems to be coming into his own and sign Anderson from the Ravens for our LG spot.

http://www.stadiumwall.com/index.php?showt...ndpost&p=222601

Player Pos. FA Type Ht. Wt. Exp. '04 Team '05 Team Grade Comment

Orlando Pace OT UFA 6-7 325 8 Rams  95 Expert's Take

Walter Jones OT UFA 6-5 315 8 Seahawks  92 Expert's Take

Jonas Jennings OT UFA 6-3 325 4 Bills  76 Expert's Take

Stockar McDougle OT UFA 6-6 335 5 Lions  75 Expert's Take

Ryan Diem OT UFA 6-6 331 4 Colts  72 Expert's Take

Victor Riley OT UFA 6-5 340 7 Saints  70 Expert's Take

Floyd Womack OT UFA 6-4 333 4 Seahawks  70 Expert's Take

Kareem McKenzie OT UFA 6-6 327 4 NY Jets  68 Expert's Take

Bob Whitfield OT UFA 6-5 310 13 Jaguars  67 Expert's Take

Brad Bedell OT UFA 6-4 306 4 Packers  65 Expert's Take

Paul Zukauskas OT UFA 6-5 320 4 Browns  65 Expert's Take

Ethan Brooks OT UFA 6-6 330 7 Ravens  64 Expert's Take

Jason Mathews OT UFA 6-5 285 11 Titans  64 Expert's Take

Marcus Spears OT UFA 6-4 320 11 Texans  63 Expert's Take

Barrett Brooks OT UFA 6-4 325 9 Steelers  62 Expert's Take

Marcus Price OT UFA 6-4 310 6 Bills  62 Expert's Take

Chad Slaughter OT UFA 6-8 340 4 Raiders  62 Expert's Take

Matt Willig OT UFA 6-8 315 13 Panthers  62 Expert's Take

Adrian Klemm OT UFA 6-3 312 5 Patriots  61 Expert's Take

Damion Cook OT UFA 6-5 330 3 Browns  60 Expert's Take

Player Pos. FA Type Ht. Wt. Exp. '04 Team '05 Team Grade Comment

Ed Ellis OT UFA 6-5 325 7 NY Giants  60 Expert's Take

Kenyatta Jones OT UFA 6-3 307 3 Redskins  60 Expert's Take

Ian Allen OT RFA 6-4 310 3 Eagles  N/A 

Tom Ashworth OT RFA 6-6 305 3 Patriots  N/A 

Kevin Barry OT RFA 6-4 335 3 Packers  N/A 

Chad Beasley OT RFA 6-5 300 3 Browns  N/A 

Jerome Davis OT RFA 6-5 300 3 49ers  N/A 

Steve Edwards OT RFA 6-5 330 2 Bears  N/A 

Joaquin Gonzalez OT RFA 6-5 315 3 Browns  N/A 

Brandon Gorin OT RFA 6-6 308 3 Patriots  N/A 

Adam Haayer OT RFA 6-6 308 3 Vikings  N/A 

Dave Kadela OT RFA 6-6 304 2 Panthers  N/A 

Kyle Kosier OT RFA 6-5 309 3 49ers  N/A 

Victor Rogers OT RFA 6-6 331 3 Lions  N/A 

Kevin Shaffer OT RFA 6-5 290 3 Falcons  N/A 

Kurt Vollers OT RFA 6-7 300 3 Cowboys  N/A 

Thomas had a very good year this year.....The previous season he didn't play as good.

Its a mute point as Thomas isn't a FA, according to NFLPA.org he is signed through 2008.

http://www.nflpa.org/Members/playerProfile.asp?ID=25937

234866[/snapback]

Thomas is listed as a UFA and available on the website The Redzome > http://www.theredzone.org/2005/freeagents/...asp?Position=OT <

I have seen some media discussion of whether the Eagles will tag Thomas or not this year as they would prefer to tag Corey Simon a definite UFA at DT.

I'm not sure what the discrepancy is here, it may be some particular language in Thomas contract which makes him a possible or likely UFA but he isn't one yet officially.

Thomas is listed as a UFA and available on the website The Redzome  >  http://www.theredzone.org/2005/freeagents/...asp?Position=OT <

I have seen some media discussion of whether the Eagles will tag Thomas or not this year as they would prefer to tag Corey Simon a definite UFA at DT.

I'm not sure what the discrepancy is here, it may be some particular language in Thomas contract which makes him a possible or likely UFA but he isn't one yet officially.

234950[/snapback]

I found a tiny little blurb (not from any particularly credible source) about the possibility that Thomas is allowed to void his current contract. Not sure why this is possible. Is it somehow linked to performance?