Donahoe makes the off-season tough for us

AKC

While it's good for the team it gives us less to speculate on having so few players who might leave us of their own choosing. It's probably easy if you're simply a bad team like Chicago to have few players eligible for Free Agency, but a rising team like the Bills makes this a serious challenge. Congratulations Tom on bringing us into this off-season with just 12 players eligible for Free Agency, with only 7 of those unrestricted.

For reference

Exclusive Rights Free Agents:

LS Jon Dorenbos

LB Josh Stamer

Restricted Free Agents:

RB Joe Burns

G Mike Pucillo

CB Kevin Thomas

Unrestricted Free Agents:

T Jonas Jennings

DT Pat Williams

T Marcus Price

FS Izell Reese

QB Shane Matthews

TE Ryan Neufeld

WR Drew Haddad

No big names in the ERFA or RFA. Tender them an offer, if someone matches or beats no big loss. I could see a couple (Burns & Pucillo) not surviving training camp cuts anyway

UFAs mostly backups (Matthews, Neufeld, Price, Reese), a role player (Haddad) and 2 starters (Williams and Jennings). Price is worth resigning, maybe Matthews depending on the Drew situation. Neufeld and Haddad are good for depth. Reese is gone. Williams should definitely be resigned and someone else will overpay for Jennings

Everyone keeps bashing TD, but he makes the hard decisions and *most* of the time they come out good.

I'm glad we have TD and Modrak in the front office.

234694[/snapback]

TD/Modrak are excellent at managing the cap and running the business of the organization. They've also drafted and signed some quality players.

That said, the most important factor in rating their job performance is their biggest negative:

26-38

Even if you give them a mulligan for the 2001 season in cap jail, they're still below 500: 23-25

TD/Modrak are excellent at managing the cap and running the business of the organization.  They've also drafted and signed some quality players.

That said, the most important factor in rating their job performance is their biggest negative:

26-38

Even if you give them a mulligan for the 2001 season in cap jail, they're still below 500: 23-25

234700[/snapback]

I'm betting on the tide continuing towards the positive side of that stat in '05.

Say the Bills put in Losman this year, he hits some bumps on the way, and they finish 9-7, one game out of the playoffs. I think that's likely. Then, by 2006, they'll be in the playoffs. So, that means it will have taken Donahoe only six years to make the playoffs. On average, a team should make it eveyr 2.6 years. Maybe that's why we're not all so anxious to praise him - just yet. But if he brings us a Superbowl, forget everything I just said.

Say the Bills put in Losman this year, he hits some bumps on the way, and they finish 9-7, one game out of the playoffs.  I think that's likely.  Then, by 2006, they'll be in the playoffs.  So, that means it will have taken Donahoe only six years to make the playoffs.  On average, a team should make it eveyr 2.6 years.  Maybe that's why we're not all so anxious to praise him - just yet.  But if he brings us a Superbowl, forget everything I just said.

234848[/snapback]

It's not just about making the playoffs.......I think what TD is doing is putting the pieces into place that will not only allow us to be in the playoffs, but also allow us to remain competitive for an extended period of time. If we had to endure four or five non-playoff seasons in order to be there on an annual basis for the next ten years, it will have been worth the wait. Besides, we weren't going to beat the Pats anyway. Sure, all of us wish the process had gone a little more quickly, but like everything else, just blame Drew ;)

I don't know why I think this, but, I do think TD has some surprises in store for us this off season.

234682[/snapback]

after Moulds restructured contract is done, we will have alot of cap space to work with. and no first rounder to pay.

i see eather jones or pace. ;)

and maybe an upgrade at OG :)

TD/Modrak are excellent at managing the cap and running the business of the organization.  They've also drafted and signed some quality players.

26-38

234700[/snapback]

I think this is because TD did blow it with his first choice of one of the GM's most important jobs which was choosing an HC. He flat out passed over John Fox who is having great success with Carolina and Marvin Lewis who has righted a long stagnant ship of state (some will maintain that it was Lewis who or his wife who passed us by as unlikely as that seems given the buyers market of NFL HC jobs and them ending up in the thriving metropolis of Cincinnati with their thriving team and ownership). Instead he picked GW who simply wowed him with his lists.

GWs credentials seemed great to me for an Administrative Assistant to TD but he simply proved to be not-read-for-primetime as an HC.

GW exhibited a tremendous lack of feel for controlling the flow of the game (understandable that TD would not intrude since on the line decision are made by he HC abd the GM will only much things up by intruding too much even if he would have made better calls on plays like GW punting and gaining all of seven yards after the touchback deep in enemy territory or GWs bad record at challenging the refs- not to mention bad clock management and a total failure to teach promised discipline as seen in are horrible record of penalties.

However, there were areas where TD could clearly have been more intrusive or delivered some "support" to GW as he allowed him to assemble a coaching staff which lacked experience with their jobs or getting to the Big Dance. Even worse, after GW's first choice for OC was so unproductive even GW was willing to fire him, TD apparently allowed himself to lose the argument for a replacement OC with GW advocating for Kevin Killdrive and TD preferring the eventually hired breath of fresh air Tom Clements.

I think this happened because TD did not want to react to being run out of town by an HC he hired as he was by Cowher in Pittsburgh by being too overtly controlling of his Buffalo HC hire. However, GW simply needed help overt, covert or otherwise doing the job he was hired to do. Instead TD seemed more passive-aggressive putting the pieces in place for GW to pull the trigger (for example he hired his buddy Les Steckel a former OC at RB coach but never forced GW to fire Killdrive when he lost control of the O and the team in 2003 when Steckel would not have been the answer but certainly could have held down the fort if the Bills canned Killdrive in mid-season the same way that NYG canned ineffective Sean Peyton.

Instead odd maneuvers happened like GW announcing to the press thatLarry Centers could be a Bills as long as he wanted (and thus the HC intruded into GM territory) and within a week, Centers (much to his surpirise from an interview he gave to Empire) was cut and Sam Gash was our new FB. Either GW was slapped down for this invasion into GM duties or he simply did not know what was going on. Neither conclusion boded well for out team.

The losing record is not surprising when you make a really bad choice for HC.