Looking for VHS to DVD advise

SouthernMan

I'd like to convert some home videos to DVD.

I recently bought the latest version of Roxio Easy Media Creator 7.

It gives instructions for converting analog (VHS) to digital via a the 'S' cable connection.

I don't have a card or source for an 'S' cable installed on my (new HP Pavillion) computer. Is this the only way or the best way to do it.

Has anyone here had any success with using this software for this purpose?

Any other tips on getting my VHS tapes put to DVD?

Any suggestions or shared experiences with this kind of manuver would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

It gives instructions for converting analog (VHS) to digital via a the 'S' cable connection.

I don't have a card or source for an 'S' cable installed on my (new HP Pavillion) computer. Is this the only way or the best way to do it.

Any suggestions or shared experiences with this kind of manuver would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

234655[/snapback]

Fine. Make me read the damn manuals. Thanks for nothing.

I'll just take my questions over to the Patriot's board. I'm sure they'll provide some answers when they're finished celebrating. :)

234655[/snapback]

I believe you've now realized that, in order to capture video from external sources, there's not only a software component but a hardware component. There needs to be some sort of video/"TV Tuner" input in order to make the magic happen. Either it would be an S-video connection (best for optimal image quality from VHS) an RCA plug (usually colored yellow), or, if it has a TV Tuner, a coax input. If you don't have either on the computer, you'll have to go buy a video capture card. What model Pavilion?

That's what I use for VHS & LD transfers.

Quality isn't quite as good, but it's close enough for me.

235504[/snapback]

Interesting....I have the dual deck variety to transfer VHS to DVD, but never thought of the LD transfer. I could finally move everything over to DVD and get rid of all those oversized LD's and player! Thanks Rico!

it's any easy decision for you to make... but it depends on whether you want to take the easy way or the hard way... allow me to explain.

If you convert through the computer you...

1) have to capture the video... that takes significant hard drive space and a capture card if you're talking vhs... unless you also have a digital camcorder... in that case you can take the a/v out on your vcr, send that to the input on your digital camcorder and then use the fire wire out on the dig camcorder to your computer

2) once you capture... if it's in AVI format, you have to convert it to MPEG2, which adds a step and more time. If you're able to capture as MPEG2 then all you have to do is burn the DVD in Nero. but again it's two steps... capture, and then burn

The easy way... if you just want to make a straight copy, just get a standalone dvd recorder and connect your vcr straight to that and make a copy in real time.

One step.

If you're able to capture as MPEG2 then all you have to do is burn the DVD in Nero.  but again it's two steps... capture, and then

The video quality also (generally) isn't anywhere near as good as it would be if you captured and then used TMPGenc (or similar) to encode.

Time vs. quality. How good is "good enough?"

CW

I have a little capture device from Avermedia that I use to capture from my 8mm camcoder to my pc. It comes with software to capture, convert, etc. It is $49.99 on their website. I got mine at Officemax for free after rebate. Officemax also has a pci card version. Either version allows you to plug in rca jacks (yellow, red, white) to capture from a camcorder or vcr.

Link to Avermedia usb device

Make sure that your pc meets the minimum requirements for speed and hard drive space. One tip: It is best to just capture the whole thing and create a dvd from it. I originally had planned to edit and put in titles, etc. It can be very time consuming to do the editing.

QUOTE(DeeRay @ Feb 11 2005, 01:26 PM)

If you're able to capture as MPEG2 then all you have to do is burn the DVD in Nero. but again it's two steps... capture, and then

The video quality also (generally) isn't anywhere near as good as it would be if you captured and then used TMPGenc (or similar) to encode.

Time vs. quality. How good is "good enough?"

Trust me Chris... I know this I do it for a living... I use em all Tmpgenc, canopus procoder, adobe media encoder, Ulead... you name it.

I've never captured even a single frame of video straight to mpeg2. It's always DVAVI first and then I encode to MPEG 2 after creating a final edited AVI. I also use professional Phillips and Pioneer standalone units... used for straight conversions and the results are nothing less than outstanding... especially with firewire in and the ability to create menus.

For someone just starting out... if they've got time... go the computer route and if they're not too fussy about the results, they can capture straight to MPEG2... and believe me if they're converting 8mm or a VHS tape, if they use the highest quality capture setting for MPEG2, there is not going to be any discernable drop off in quality.

The easiest route is the standalone dvd recorder... no muss no fuss.

And if you want to know a little trick... any time you burn a DVD, be it via standalone dvd recorder or computer burn.... if you copy a vob file from the DVD over to your hard drive and change the extension from VOB to MPG (simply re-naming the file type), you can now drag that MPG (mpeg2) file into Premiere Pro or Media Studio 8 Pro and edit it any which way you want and produce another video file from it.

Trust me Chris... I know this  I do it for a living... I use em all Tmpgenc, canopus procoder, adobe media encoder, Ulead... you name it.

I know - I was just making sure the original poster (and others who read it) know the pros and cons.

And if you want to know a little trick... any time you burn a DVD, be it via standalone dvd recorder or computer burn.... if you copy a vob file from the DVD over to your hard drive and change the extension from VOB to MPG (simply re-naming the file type), you can now drag that MPG (mpeg2) file into Premiere Pro or Media Studio 8 Pro and edit it any which way you want and produce another video file from it.

The only potential issue is if your editor doesn't support AC3 audio (Ulead MSP 6.5 doesn't...). Then you have to demux the file and convert the AC3 to WAV, then back to AC3; a hassle, but worth it IMHO. I should check if the newer version supports AC3, as it would save some time (Besweet is a free utility that does it though).

CW

The only potential issue is if your editor doesn't support AC3 audio (Ulead MSP 6.5 doesn't...). Then you have to demux the file and convert the AC3 to WAV, then back to AC3; a hassle, but worth it IMHO. I should check if the newer version supports AC3, as it would save some time (Besweet is a free utility that does it though).

MSP 8.0 does... APP 1.5 supports it and gives you 5 mulligans to try and then you have to buy the plugin.

MSP 8.0 does... APP 1.5 supports it  and gives you 5 mulligans to try and then you have to buy the plugin.

236049[/snapback]

There doesn't appear to be an MSP 8, only 7. There's Video Studio 8, but that doesn't have the same functionality as MSP.

Did you leak info on a new version that's in the pipeline?! :ph34r:

CW