Game Review: I've noticed something

nodnarb

when some players commit an interference penalty or block in the back, or *marginally* commit such a penalty, you'll see them hold out their arms, as if to say..."I didn't do anything...I didn't mean it". And THEN, based on THAT action, you see a ref throw a flag.

I hope these coaches tell the younger players (who committed 95% of last night's penalties) to NOT invite eyes toward them. It's the dumbest thing they can do. As if the ref is going to NOT throw a flag because of that gesture. All it does is call attention to that player. It's ridiculous. Watch the tape, and you'll see three different guys do it. They all get called for a penalty, and the flag is thrown AFTER they make their "look at me, i'm an idiot who thinks this will clear me of any offense" gesture.

I said this last year, and nobody responded...but watch the patriots. They hold and clutch and grab, but they NEVER, EVER do the "guilty arms" gesture. I guarantee you they've been coached not to. As a result, Refs don't notice as much, they get fewer calls, they win more games, and people like us think they're lucky and get all the calls.

Those are the little things the coaches have to focus on to make the team better.

Last year I remember reading an article where a Patriot's DB said that by watching Moulds in the huddle they would know what play was coming. If Moulds was paying extra attention it was a pass, if he was going with the motions in the huddle it was a run.

I said to myself BS, but I watched Moulds closely and the guy was right, you could see Moulds being more intense or focused before a pass play.

I forget who it was, maybe Takeo Spikes, but he was called for offsides. They showed a replay and there was no possible way he or anyone else committed the infraction. That penalty helped keep alive a Detroit scoring drive that could have been the difference in the game.