A new low

BillsNYC

What was supposed to have been a simple resolution, honoring President Reagan’s birthday, passed the state Senate in Minnesota this week, but only after Democrats insisted the bill be rewritten to include the fact that Reagan never won in that state. Democrats would only accept the line referring to the unprecedented economic expansion and opportunity of the Reagan years, if a line was added saying that it was, "not paralleled until the Clinton presidency."

Democrats also insisted on saying the current administration should learn in Reagan the, "need for world support in foreign initiatives." Republican Senator Dave Clice (search) said the bill was just supposed to be a simple little happy birthday, but it turned out to be an argument over the last 25 years of politics.

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,146612,00.html

What was supposed to have been a simple resolution, honoring President Reagan’s birthday, passed the state Senate in Minnesota this week, but only after Democrats insisted the bill be rewritten to include the fact that Reagan never won in that state. Democrats would only accept the line referring to the unprecedented economic expansion and opportunity of the Reagan years, if a line was added saying that it was, "not paralleled until the Clinton presidency."

Democrats also insisted on saying the current administration should learn in Reagan the, "need for world support in foreign initiatives." Republican Senator Dave Clice (search) said the bill was just supposed to be a simple little happy birthday, but it turned out to be an argument over the last 25 years of politics.

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,146612,00.html

232203[/snapback]

Sounds like a lot of stupid haranguing on both sides. Can't they just say to honor the birthday or the 40th president and leave it at that? Obviously people disagree on his record and that of his successors, why get into the specifics?

As for Fox News, good to see they're covering all the important topics of the day. :w00t:

But the question arises what story did they not show you in order to spend the time on this story?

232271[/snapback]

OH THANK GOD!!!!

I'm so happy that CNN decided to use the space to promote the new Karate Kid DVD instead of reporting on the meaningful story above!!!

http://www.cnn.com/2005/SHOWBIZ/Movies/02/...chio/index.html

As for the "typical liberal behavior" comment further up the thread ... My God, what were we thinking?!? Don't they know that the Republicans and the conservatives will tell us what's right and what's wrong, and that there is absolutely NO ROOM for differing opinions? Reagan was a god, and - by God - it's time for us liberal malcontents to realize that!

232321[/snapback]

Gee, that's funny. I thought the resolution was to honor President Reagan’s birthday, not to anoint him as God.

Now back to the libtard hissy fit!

I guess they got tired of running the nightly tape loop showing how well Bush's war in Iraq is going.

As for the "typical liberal behavior" comment further up the thread ... My God, what were we thinking?!? Don't they know that the Republicans and the conservatives will tell us what's right and what's wrong, and that there is absolutely NO ROOM for differing opinions? Reagan was a god, and - by God - it's time for us liberal malcontents to realize that!

232321[/snapback]

I see you repaired your ethernet cable after your gerbil crawled out and ate it. I know it is hard for you to understand the appreciation in this country for Reagan since he was a BIGGER man than you are.

OH THANK GOD!!!!

I'm so happy that CNN decided to use the space to promote the new Karate Kid DVD instead of reporting on the meaningful story above!!!

http://www.cnn.com/2005/SHOWBIZ/Movies/02/...chio/index.html

232329[/snapback]

Are you saying that the Reagan story should fall under the SHOWBIZ sub-category? I guess that could be fitting.

Wasting time on birthday resolutions for dead presidents.  And people wonder how Jesse Ventura got elected as the anti-establishment governor.

232517[/snapback]

Yeah...."wasting" time honoring Presidents and our Country's history. What a terrible idea. :w00t:

The MN senate is controlled by democrats. Here's a story from a local TV station.

MN TV story

Here's an excerpt from the bottom of the article.

"The resolution debate might not be the only fight over Reagan in Minnesota's Legislature this year. Also Thursday, two Republican legislators said they would try to name a beltway around the Twin Cities after Reagan. Other Republicans are pushing a bill to rename a legislative office building after him."

The Republican minority in Massachusetts is always trying this kind of stuff here. Some of it is just them trying to difficult. Seems like the republican minority in MN is trying to push for a lot more than Reagan's birthday. It's odd that Fox, purveyor of unbiased news that they are, skipped all of this.

The MN senate is controlled by democrats.  Here's a story from a local TV station.

MN TV story

Here's an excerpt from the bottom of the article.

"The resolution debate might not be the only fight over Reagan in Minnesota's Legislature this year. Also Thursday, two Republican legislators said they would try to name a beltway around the Twin Cities after Reagan. Other Republicans are pushing a bill to rename a legislative office building after him."

The Republican minority in Massachusetts is always trying this kind of stuff here.  Some of it is just them trying to difficult.  Seems like the republican minority in MN is trying to push for a lot more than Reagan's birthday.  It's odd that Fox, purveyor of unbiased news that they are, skipped all of this.

232608[/snapback]

I see nothing wrong with any of this. He is one of the greatest presidents of our time, and he should have things named after him. He won the cold war for crying out loud.

I see nothing wrong with any of this. He is one of the greatest presidents of our time, and he should have things named after him. He won the cold war for crying out loud.

232623[/snapback]

He already has quite a bit named after him. We also already have a national holiday called "President's Day".

President's Day

"This has made the third Monday in February a day for honoring both Washington and Lincoln, as well as all the other men who have served as president."

Guest RabidBillsFanVT

It's just fitting that the 50's sellout Communist-hunting Reagan would get a fitting debate about his birthday.

Just politics... it still won't make up for all the hard working actors, actresses, screenwriters, etc he hosed over to climb to power, and that's putting it mildly!

Good to be partisan sometimes... hehehe :w00t:

Of course all the presidents before him from Truman on had nothing to do with it, let alone a failed Soviet economy or an inspirational Pope.  <_<

232661[/snapback]

While not as blatantly pro-Soviet as FDR, Truman was pro-Soviet until after the Republicans' midterm election wins forced him to reconsider his stance. Considering that Truman basically gave the Soviets Eastern Europe in the Potsdam convention, and fired McArthur for wanting to win the Korean War, I'd say that Truman did little to win the Cold War. After Churchill made his famous Iron Curtain speech, Truman's administration slighted the British government.