I'd be happy if this guy was our new LG

d_wag

Another free agent is guard Jermane Mayberry, who along with Hollis Thomas and Brian Dawkins has been with the team longer than anyone has.

Mayberry, the team's No. 1 pick in 1996, knows his days with the Eagles could be over.

"I understand the situation," Mayberry said. "They drafted Shawn (Andrews) in the first round. Artis (Hicks) signed a long deal. They have some young players, like Jamal Jackson who they like. It's just like with Troy (Vincent) and Bobby (Taylor) last year. They had the young corners, so they let those guys go."

Mayberry, a solid veteran who has been to a Pro Bowl and was an alternate this year, will get his share of offers.

http://www.nj.com/eagles/times/index.ssf?/...53698216890.xml

-----------------------------

wouldn't be my first choice, but if TD isn't going to spend big bucks on a new guard mayberry is a great option........vincent could help real him in.....

Guards should NOT be big money positions.  I'd say $2M tops.  Mayberry will seek a lot more than that.

232111[/snapback]

well, you can expect to get crap if that is the case........who is going to sign for 2M average?? even kendrick vincent is going to get more then that, and he has only started for one season..........

chris villarial was 12M over 4 years, and i think we can all agree that is money well spent.......i see mayberry getting a similar deal from someone, and not a whole lot more.......

Its no wonder we suck all the time.  Why is it that fans constantly support players in their 30s.

232134[/snapback]

you trying to tell me chris villarial was a bad sign?? 31 years old and still going strong........

I'd like to do what the Pats do: take nobodies who make nothing but still be able to play well in the SB.  I'm hoping McNally finds 1 or 2 like that.

232168[/snapback]

so what do you want to spend our cap dollars on, if not OL?

Guards should NOT be big money positions.  I'd say $2M tops.  Mayberry will seek a lot more than that.

232111[/snapback]

you say that now. wait till JP gets sacked 6 times in a game. not to mention plays that require the OG to pull to the outside. we need help at OL.

we need a OT to replace Jennings. you can never spend to much on the Offensive line. i want a Pro-Bowl OT.

JJ will be gone.

Smith played ok at OG, didnt give up many, if any, sacks (that i remember), but did get pushed back ALOT. ill be ok with him, but mayberry would be a HUGE improvement.

also the Eagles are 25 mil. under the cap, but they have ALOT of free agents. Mayberry said himself, that they drafted his replacement, and gave the other OG a contract extention.

can you imagin a probowl OT next to a probowl OG, on the left. with our 4th overall pick M. Williams finally playing as good as we thaught he could be, on the right. they could make McGahee would look like the next P. Holmes.

Too much money, and the Eagles will keep him if they want.  They're something like $24m UNDER the cap.

232093[/snapback]

They are that far under right now....but they have to decide on DT Corey Simon and LB Jerimah Trotter, who will probably get a $5M raise...also Burgess is a FA and will get a nice raise. Brian Westbrook is in the final year of his deal and the Eagles need to make a decision there too.

its amazing how fast a salary cap can be filled.

so what do you want to spend our cap dollars on, if not OL?

232172[/snapback]

HOw about extending Clements contract... The guy has it right...NE has

no-names in their line and still give 6 to 7 seonds for brady to throw to

his receivers....Wish Mcnally can unearth that kind of talent. Of course

we need to give him some talent....The Mike Pucillos and McFarlands

don't cut it.

you say that now. wait till JP gets sacked 6 times in a game.

232175[/snapback]

What are you talking about? JP won't get sacked because he is mobile. The problem was Bledsoe, not the OL. Once we get JP in there, everything will be fine as he will win 15 games and never get sacked.

Seriously, we need solid depth on the OL, but I think the first step to building depth is to build a solid starting roster, and that means signing Jennings first.

HOw about extending Clements contract... The guy has it right...NE has

no-names in their line and still give 6 to 7 seonds for brady to throw to

his receivers....Wish Mcnally can unearth that kind of talent. Of course

we need to give him some talent....The Mike Pucillos and McFarlands

don't cut it.

232187[/snapback]

Kind of early to call McFarland a waste, no?

What are you talking about? JP won't get sacked because he is mobile. The problem was  Bledsoe, not the OL. Once we get JP in there, everything will be fine as he will win 15 games and never get sacked.

I know you're being sarcastic, but for those who believe that crap remember that Vick and Culpepper were tied for 2nd most sacks in the NFL. And to the people who say, "Yeah, but that's because they run and get hit for a one yard loss and that counts as a sacl," note that Vick lost the 3rd most yards in the NFL and Culpepper lost the 7th most yards in the NFL on sacks. Bledsoe didn't even make the top 10 for yards lost.

I know you're being sarcastic, but for those who believe that crap remember that Vick and Culpepper were tied for 2nd most sacks in the NFL.  And to the people who say, "Yeah, but that's because they run and get hit for a one yard loss and that counts as a sacl," note that Vick lost the 3rd most yards in the NFL and Culpepper lost the 7th most yards in the NFL on sacks.  Bledsoe didn't even make the top 10 for yards lost.

232354[/snapback]

And that's because the scrambling QBs are the ones who take the big sacks, because they think they can get out of any bad situation (and to be fair, they're often right). You will not see Bledsoe running around 15 yards behind the line of scrimmage trying to get away from a pass rusher. Of course, the opposite tendency, to "turtle up", isn't often all that great either.

Of course, the opposite tendency, to "turtle up", isn't often all that great either.

232436[/snapback]

HEY!!! I LIKE IT!!! We've been looking for a Bills slogan! Some moronic teams use the phrase "Cowboy Up!" And we've been using "Billieve!."

Maybe as long as Bledsoe is quarterback, our slogan should be "Turtle Up!"

"C'mon Bills! TURTLE UP!!"