cooking question

Pete

I am making a huge batch of chili right now and had brain freeze. I soaked beans overnight, whipped up my chili and added the beans without boiling them. Any suggestions how to salvage the chili? If I simmer it for two hours do you think the beans will soften up? Thanks!

I am making a huge batch of chili right now and had brain freeze.  I soaked beans overnight, whipped up my chili and added the beans without boiling them.  Any suggestions how to salvage the chili?  If I simmer it for two hours do you think the beans will soften up?  Thanks!

17420[/snapback]

Since you soaked them overnight, you'll be fine. Stay away from the salt until they tenderize-the salt tends to make them resist moisture. I never pre-cook my beans when I make baked beans, they come out fine.

Phew!  Thanks!  I did add salt already- hopefully that doesnt slow it down too bad.  Thanks again! <_<

17436[/snapback]

Make sure you keep enough moisture in there as well. Add a little HOT water every so often until you know they are right.

I have 4 cans Guiness in it. Not to mention Cocoa powder, espresso, habeneros and lots other strange ingredients. The beans are halfway soft and its been over an hour. I hope they hurry up and soften up- I am setting up for a big party and have better things to do then stir the chile every five minutes. Thanks for all your help though!

I have 4 cans Guiness in it.  Not to mention Cocoa powder, espresso, habeneros and lots other strange ingredients.  The beans are halfway soft and its been over an hour.  I hope they hurry up and soften up- I am setting up for a big party and have better things to do then stir the chile every five minutes.  Thanks for all your help though!

17558[/snapback]

Guinness is exactly the one I was thinking of. I've done espresso too. Cocoa powder is a new one on me. Maybe I'll have to experiment a little.

Oh, by all means add the beer, and plenty of it. I use a dark beer in my baked beans recipe. But cooking requires a certain amount of pure water as well. It's a chemistry/temperature/time thing. Your texture is not the same if you don't use water. Where's Chef when you need him?