GQ - Godell's season from hell

Reed83HOF

http://www.gq.com/sports/201502/roger-goodell-season-from-hell

A few highlights...

"Eric Winston, an offensive tackle for the Bengals and president of the NFL Players Association, says the NFL is simply too popular to screw up, and that its recent success has come in spite of Goodell's leadership, not because of it: "You could be the worst bartender at spring break, but you'd still be killing it."

And yet even some owners have been frustrated by aspects of Goodell's tenure. Bob McNair, who owns the Houston Texans and is a Goodell supporter, told me that when Saints owner Tom Benson resigned from three league committees in 2013, Goodell's pay package and his handling of the Saints' Bountygate scandal were two reasons. "Tom's a green-eyeshade accountant of many years," McNair said. "He's just not happy about what happened." (Through a spokesman, Benson denies this.)

It's also an open secret in league circles that some owners, especially Woody Johnson of the Jets, resent the preferential treatment Goodell is perceived to extend to his inner circle. (As the football world waits for the commissioner's decision on whether to punish the Patriots for Deflategate, many are wondering how his relationship with Kraft will affect Goodell's ruling.)

By 2005, Goodell was agitating for Tagliabue to step down. At one point, Goodell even considered a job offer from ESPN, but Tagliabue persuaded him to stay at the league. "He was getting impatient," Tagliabue told me.

In December 2012, Tagliabue published a twenty-two-page decision that vacated Goodell's punishments. "I talked to him after I issued the bounty decision," Tagliabue told me. "I explained I was doing it and why. He didn't think I would vacate all the discipline. He said, 'I was surprised where you came out.' "