EW Shine Game: Louisville OG John Miller

johnwalter

If you watched the Bills last year, one opinion that you probably formed was that we are in need of an OG - probably a gaggle of them. If you watched the East-West Shine game tonight, one opinion that you probably formed was that John Miller, the OG from Louisville is a damn fine offensive guard.

To those who watched Louisville games this year: did Miller play like a dominant guard all year, or was he just having a hell of a night tonight? Because that dude was blocking out of his mind out there.

If you watched the Bills last year, one opinion that you probably formed was that we are in need of an OG - probably a gaggle of them. If you watched the East-West Shine game tonight, one opinion that you probably formed was that John Miller, the OG from Louisville is a damn fine offensive guard.

To those who watched Louisville games this year: did Miller play like a dominant guard all year, or was he just having a hell of a night tonight? Because that dude was blocking out of his mind out there.

I probably only saw 2-3 Louisville games this year so I'm not the best source. With that being said, all week he was talked about one to watch so I'm assuming he was pretty good all year. Louisville has been big and physical for the last few years.

Take it for what it's worth as I looked for a quick ranking on guards and Walter football has him ranked 15th.

They have La'el Collins from LSU ranked first, Kouandjio's brother ranked second followed by Josue Matias and Cameron Erving both from Florida St who I've seen play a few times and like.

CBS has his ranked 9th among the guards in the 4/5 round range. The write-up:

STRENGTHS WEAKNESSES While he may lack elite athleticism, Miller demonstrates intelligence, sound technique and toughness in the trenches with enough quickness in a short area to be a reliable pass-protector when asked to slide and mirror interior rushers, and his initial burst off the snap enables him to get to the 2nd level and target efficiently.

From a technical standpoint, Miller exhibits good bend in his lower half and is rarely overwhelmed as he keeps his feet moving, resets without wasted motion, and establishes good extension to keep defenders out of his frame. Another mid-round type of prospect who's durability and consistency could make him a terrific pro.

--Derek Stephens (8/18/14)

PLAYER OVERVIEW

A 34-game starter in his Louisville career, Miller earned second-team All-AAC honors starting all 13 games at left guard last year as the Cardinals offense put up 35.2 points, and 460.8 yards per contest.