Toronto "Jets"

According to NY Times, Cable Vision (owners of MSG) has offered $350 million (jets offer $100 million) for the land where the Jets and the NYC mayor want a stadium. This is getting interesting.

The Giants want a new $700 million stadium.

The NFL wants a new stadium for the 49er's (and one in LA).

There is unhappines in New Orleans with the lease of the Saints and there owner.

The Colts will be getting a new stadium soon??

San Diego????Raoders????

Jags cover up seats to lower sell out count ( some tickets cost $13.50!!!!!!)

The Arizona stadium will have a natural grass field on a moveable tray.

source Red Zone. Com

The Giants want a new $700 million stadium.

Giants & NJ deal.......

Giants' offer clears field for new stadium deal $6.3M annual fee meets a key demand

Friday, February 04, 2005

BY MATTHEW FUTTERMAN

Star-Ledger Staff

The Giants yesterday agreed to pay more than $6 million per year to the state for the right to build a stadium at the Meadowlands Sports Complex, meeting a key demand from New Jersey officials and clearing the way for a deal.

The offer, described by four officials involved in the negotiations, sets the stage for the two sides to reach a deal next week on a new $700 million stadium.

State officials received the proposal from the Giants early yesterday afternoon, marking a turning point in two months of sometimes bitter negotiations between the team and the Codey administration. Acting Gov. Richard Codey has said a deal for a stadium is one of his top priorities.

"The response from the Giants was extremely positive and appears to address a lot of the issues discussed between the two parties in an extremely responsive manner," said Carl Goldberg, chairman of the New Jersey Sports and Exposition Authority and Codey's lead negotiator. "I'm looking forward to re-engaging in discussions with the Giants early next week."

The offer removed several major issues from the negotiating table, but Giants officials said privately the state still must prove the proposed $1.3 billion Xanadu retail and entertainment center will not worsen a traffic and parking nightmare on football Sundays at the Meadowlands.

The Giants want to replace their 28-year-old home because it does not have many of the amenities of NFL stadiums built during the past 10 years. Giants Stadium has narrow concourses, limited concession areas and no premium club seating -- all of which hurts the team's bottom line, compared with many rivals.

Goldberg and Giants chief executive John Mara declined to comment on the specifics of the offer, but four sources involved with the negotiations confirmed the following details:

The Giants would pay all construction costs. The team would meet the state's demand for $5 million a year in rent and $1.3 million in taxes for the 75 acres at the Meadowlands Sports Complex on which the stadium will be built. A previous formal offer included nominal rent of $1 a year.

The team would have full control of the stadium and be responsible for maintaining and operating it. Nearly all the money from ticket sales, advertising, parking, concessions and luxury suite rentals for football and nonfootball events would flow to the Giants. That would amount to nearly $20 million a year.

The Giants, however, agreed to work with the state to schedule certain civic events, including high school football championships and band competitions.

Team officials would get the final say on all personnel at the 80,000-seat facility but would consider keeping on many of the state employees who now manage the existing Giants Stadium.

The Giants would pay all costs for demolition of the old stadium.

The Giants' training camp, now held at the University at Albany, N.Y., would be relocated to the Meadowlands.

The team's Hall of Fame also would be located on the grounds.

"The Giants made a big move here, and now it's up to the state to do what they need to do to show the property is going to be managed in a way that will satisfy them," said one official involved with the negotiations.

Xanadu's developers, the Mills Corp. and Mack-Cali Realty, have said they are days away from receiving the final permit that will allow them to begin construction. The project proposed for the parking lot of the Continental Airlines Arena would include North America's first indoor ski dome, the country's largest cineplex, a minor league ballpark and dozens of high-end stores and restaurants.

It will also replace some 4,000 parking spaces on the eastern portion of the sports complex with parking garages for some 6,000 cars. The Giants fear congestion around the garages will make coming to the stadium a miserable experience for thousands of fans.

Traffic consultants for the state and the developers have been meeting with Giants officials since March to assuage their concerns with a variety of compromises. They include opening Xanadu late or closing it early to accommodate game-day traffic.

Also, any deal must be approved by the board of the sports authority, which operates the Meadowlands complex.

Several board members are concerned about giving up some $18 million in profits the stadium makes for the agency and replacing it with a $5 million rent payment. Such a move would create a substantial operating deficit for the agency and force the state to subsidize the sports authority so it does not default on its current debt.

Codey has said he would count a deal for a football stadium as a major victory, and the acting governor is said to be counting on the two sides to consummate an agreement at a meeting tentatively scheduled for Tuesday.

"Codey wants this to happen," said another executive involved with the negotiations, "and he doesn't want to let the two sides out of the room next week until they have a deal."

Matthew Futterman can be reached at (973) 392-1732 or mfutterman@starledger.com.

http://www.nj.com/search/index.ssf?/base/n...starledger?ntop

Oh, lets talk about Jags football for a second...

All "upper" bowl seats in that place are all Military special seating. I paid 5 bucks a game while I was stationed at Mayport, FL. Nobody goes to those damn games. Most of the fans are for the other team and a ton of diehard Dolphin fans. Most of the Jags fans are very young based, which is not a bad thing. That team will not move due to Florida still thinking that Jac is the fastest growing city in the country. Only thing I ever saw growing is the police force. Most parts of that city you cant even use a ATM without being shot at or robbed.

Giants & NJ  deal.......

Giants' offer clears field for new stadium deal $6.3M annual fee meets a key demand

Friday, February 04, 2005

BY MATTHEW FUTTERMAN

Star-Ledger Staff

The Giants yesterday agreed to pay more than $6 million per year to the state for the right to build a stadium at the Meadowlands Sports Complex, meeting a key demand from New Jersey officials and clearing the way for a deal.

The offer, described by four officials involved in the negotiations, sets the stage for the two sides to reach a deal next week on a new $700 million stadium.

State officials received the proposal from the Giants early yesterday afternoon, marking a turning point in two months of sometimes bitter negotiations between the team and the Codey administration. Acting Gov. Richard Codey has said a deal for a stadium is one of his top priorities.

"The response from the Giants was extremely positive and appears to address a lot of the issues discussed between the two parties in an extremely responsive manner," said Carl Goldberg, chairman of the New Jersey Sports and Exposition Authority and Codey's lead negotiator. "I'm looking forward to re-engaging in discussions with the Giants early next week."

Matthew Futterman can be reached at (973) 392-1732 or mfutterman@starledger.com.

http://www.nj.com/search/index.ssf?/base/n...starledger?ntop

229480[/snapback]

My question is how much longer are we expected to call these New Jersey teams New York Teams?

Who should be more embarassed NY or NJ people?

Oh, lets talk about Jags football for a second...

All "upper" bowl seats in that place are all Military special seating.  I paid 5 bucks a game while I was stationed at Mayport, FL.  Nobody goes to those damn games.  Most of the fans are for the other team and a ton of diehard Dolphin fans.  Most of the Jags fans are very young based, which is not a bad thing.  That team will not move due to Florida still thinking that Jac is the fastest growing city in the country.  Only thing I ever saw growing is the police force.  Most parts of that city you cant even use a ATM without being shot at or robbed.

229496[/snapback]

I don't know what part of Jax you stayed in ,,,,,downtown ghetto perhaps, or with your navy cohorts, but I have never had any problems in twenty years in Jax. I was a medical director of two hospital programs in downtown Jax, and never had any problems at all. Now, and I preface by saying I am pro military and have taken care of Navy dependants for years in my practice, but the navy population is no way a reflection of the rest of Jacksonville. Young men with family problems under the stress of military life does not reflect the Jacksonville population. Small market with a huge stadium (seats about 75k) is the reason for the lack of sellouts. And if the only thing you ever saw growing was "the police force", I think that says more about you and your behavior than it does about Jacksonville. Property values here in Ponte Vedra beach have gone up over 200% in the last year. Apparently other things are growing besides the police force. Please grow up and mature while you are in the sheltered existence of the military,,,,,,,the real world is a tough place when you have to own and run your own business for a living, and ridiculous blanket statements about being shot and robbed are histrionic at best , and demonstrate your need for continued intellectual and personal growth if you are to make it outside of a controlled enviornment. Best of luck. :P

My daughter goes to school at Jacksonville University and she loves it and the town.

It's the JESTS that are the only team in the league without their own stadium.

Move THEM to LA. There's a rich tradition of NYC sports teams moving to Californication.