[Vague Title]we are crazy if......

13player

Interesting point. I personally never really thought play calling was an issue. When the offensive line can't be trusted to execute basic blocks there aren't all that many decent plays to call. The pass/run split got way out of whack but this was never the plan which I think is more the result of Orton getting into the lineup and injuries. So they went with a short passing game to compensate for the struggling run game. I am sure Nate Hackett would have some interesting stories to tell.

Here's another bit of rampant speculation. All the "Orton gives us the best chance to win" and "Kyle is my starter unless someone else intervenes" talk makes me think that someone was lobbying to get EJ back in there. The stories about what EJ was working on combined with the analytics department says Kyle gives us nothing extra so Whaley/Hackett/Downing/?????? lobbies to get the new, reworked EJ back in there. Marrone has none of it and sticks with Orton and says that's the way it will be unless someone pulls rank (Pegulas probably) and orders him to start EJ.