less propaganda, and more accountability

BackInDaDay

Its almost like this offensive staff doesn't even watch film on the upcoming opponent at times, and doesn't know what to expect. Then doesn't really have the wherewithal to compensate when changes are needed.

Probably the best way to explain it is to say go back and watch the Buffalo Bills.com post game show after the Texans game in which they interview WR Mike Williams who had 2 catches for 84 yards, and a TD. Just search "we adjusted a little too late" and listen to what he says.

He basically states that the Bills offense went into that game thinking the Texans were going to be in a specific pass defense, and so the Bills game planned against that coverage. Then it wasn't until late in the 3rd quarter until the Bills OC realized the Texans were in a completely different pass coverage, and then made an adjustment.

Mike Williams stated that when we get the calls for off coverage, and zone and the opponent in is press man then things tend to not work. Now, you would think that with the Bills OC watching his offense on the field he would recognize what coverage's his offense is playing against after one series and make the proper adjustments.

Its not even like the Bills opponent is playing chess, and the Bills OC is playing checkers, as its worse then that. Now think about how much of an island Orton is on in a game when he probably needs to do everything on his own to get anything done.

The entire offensive coaching staff should be fired and replaced, and since offense is Doug Marrone's forte. Then think about how he has been "hands on" with the O line the last two years, and its among the worst in the NFL.

Your post implies that the Bills receivers were so well covered that it shut down the passing game. Poor Orton. But I didn't see it that way. I saw plenty of open receivers not getting the ball, or of course, not getting a well thrown pass.

What I get from your posts is "Orton isn't very good, so let's figure out how to work around him". Unless the running game is good (it isn't), how do you work around having a crappy QB?

Maybe the offense just isn't good enough, no matter who the OC is?

Edited by HoF Watkins

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Your post implies that the Bills receivers were so well covered that it shut down the passing game. Poor Orton. But I didn't see it that way. I saw plenty of open receivers not getting the ball, or of course, not getting a well thrown pass.

What I get from your posts is "Orton isn't very good, so let's figure out how to work around him". Unless the running game is good (it isn't), how do you work around having a crappy QB?

Maybe the offense just isn't good enough, no matter who the OC is?

In which sentence, and where exactly did I imply that the Bills receivers were so well covered it shut down the passing game? I don't read that at all.

Did you happen to watch last years Buffalo Bills with the #2 rushing team in the NFL, and #1 in attempts. It was a very simplistic offensive run scheme that ran the ball up the middle 71% of the time. Simplistic, and predictable, and a big reason as to why that offense was nicknamed the "hurry up and punt" offense. What happened from last year to this year that is causing the Bills to go from #2 in the NFL in rushing to #25? I happen to think its simply calling way to many passing plays vs run plays. This years Bills offense 556 passing attempts vs 369 rushing attempts. In 2013 Bills offense, 552 passing attempts vs 546 rushing.

What I am saying is that Orton isn't very good, and everyone in the world besides the Bills OC knows that. There should be better options in the run game. Have you ever watched what Gary Kubiak did with the Ravens line in running a zone run game which is setup like the old Redskins "counter trey" offense in that the entire O line takes a single step in one direction, and then runs the play the opposite direction. This causes the defense to take a first misstep and generally give the offense the advantage. The 90's Buffalo Bills ran that ''counter trey" and Thurman's cutbacks were legendary.

Misdirection plays, and getting Sammy involved in an end around, reverses, and fake reverses. The Raiders had the 24th worst run defense in the league, and it shouldn't have been that difficult to get production against them. At the very least try more then 13 rushes in a game. With that few rushing attempts the Bills didn't even try to establish a ground game.

EDIT: From other fans perspectives http://forums.twobillsdrive.com/topic/174378-tell-me-why-sammy/

Edited by FeartheLosing

Let me put this in better perspective if I may.

The Denver Broncos this season were at a crossroads after that St Louis game in week 11 in which they lost to the Rams on the road 7-22. Denver QB Peyton Manning threw 54 times for 389 yards, one TD, and two INT's. Meanwhile the Broncos only rushes 10 times for 28 yards in that losing effort. Sound familiar?

The Broncos coaching staff wanted to change up the offense to keep Manning from wearing out his arm over the coarse of the season, and help him manage games instead of forcing to to carry the entire offense. The difficulty with this situation was the the Denver offensive line was't very good, and in particular their offensive guards were very bad. Sound familiar? What the Broncos coaching staff did was have each inside O lineman double up on a defender to make their blocks instead of a zone block man on man.

It was working so well that the very next game against Miami who had a good run defense CJ Anderson ran 27 times for 167 yards and one TD. The next game against KC 32 rushes for 168 yards. Against the Bills Anderson only had 21 rushes for 58 yards but had 3 TD's. Against Buffalo Manning went 14 of 20 for 173, 2 INTs.

This just shows how a good coaching staff with ingenuity can turn an offense completely around from a total passing scheme to a power running team, and they did this with already having an ''elite" QB.

Let me put this in better perspective if I may.

The Denver Broncos this season were at a crossroads after that St Louis game in week 11 in which they lost to the Rams on the road 7-22. Denver QB Peyton Manning threw 54 times for 389 yards, one TD, and two INT's. Meanwhile the Broncos only rushes 10 times for 28 yards in that losing effort. Sound familiar?

The Broncos coaching staff wanted to change up the offense to keep Manning from wearing out his arm over the coarse of the season, and help him manage games instead of forcing to to carry the entire offense. The difficulty with this situation was the the Denver offensive line was't very good, and in particular their offensive guards were very bad. Sound familiar? What the Broncos coaching staff did was have each inside O lineman double up on a defender to make their blocks instead of a zone block man on man.

It was working so well that the very next game against Miami who had a good run defense CJ Anderson ran 27 times for 167 yards and one TD. The next game against KC 32 rushes for 168 yards. Against the Bills Anderson only had 21 rushes for 58 yards but had 3 TD's. Against Buffalo Manning went 14 of 20 for 173, 2 INTs.

This just shows how a good coaching staff with ingenuity can turn an offense completely around from a total passing scheme to a power running team, and they did this with already having an ''elite" QB.

Yes, but did they start out the game with 10 attempts for 13 yards?

In which sentence, and where exactly did I imply that the Bills receivers were so well covered it shut down the passing game? I don't read that at all.

Your post repeatedly refers to the Bills not adjusting to the pass coverage. What other conclusion should I draw from that criticism except that the Bills WR's weren't getting open because they weren't making adjustments to the coverage?

"the Bills offense went into that game thinking the Texans were going to be in a specific pass defense, and so the Bills game planned against that coverage. Then it wasn't until late in the 3rd quarter until the Bills OC realized the Texans were in a completely different pass coverage, and then made an adjustment.

Mike Williams stated that when we get the calls for off coverage, and zone and the opponent in is press man then things tend to not work. Now, you would think that with the Bills OC watching his offense on the field he would recognize what coverage's his offense is playing against after one series and make the proper adjustments." (Saying things like this to the media, essentially throwing the coaches under the bus, might have something to do with Williams' sudden cut in playing time).

Explain what you mean, if it isn't that the Bills WR's weren't getting open because of the coverage, cuz that's how it reads...

What happened to the running game between last season, and this season? Not sure, but one thing that changed is that they dropped the Hurry Up, which simplified defenses, and limited defensive substitutions. They also lost the 2 starters for a bunch of games (and Fred Jackson got old).

And though I see complaints about not getting the ball to Watkins enough, I also saw ill-advised, forced passes from Orton in Watkins' direction, when there were other receivers open in better circumstances. Orton had obviously decided ahead of time that he was going to throw to Watkins, and it didn't work out.

The running game sucked. The passing game sucked. The offense isn't good, and I don't believe that changing the run/pass ration would have made a significant difference, because they are bad at both. I don't think the problem was strategic, I think it was lacking talent, and mostly at QB.

Edited by HoF Watkins

Your post repeatedly refers to the Bills not adjusting to the pass coverage. What other conclusion should I draw from that criticism except that the Bills WR's weren't getting open because they weren't making adjustments to the coverage?

"the Bills offense went into that game thinking the Texans were going to be in a specific pass defense, and so the Bills game planned against that coverage. Then it wasn't until late in the 3rd quarter until the Bills OC realized the Texans were in a completely different pass coverage, and then made an adjustment.

Mike Williams stated that when we get the calls for off coverage, and zone and the opponent in is press man then things tend to not work. Now, you would think that with the Bills OC watching his offense on the field he would recognize what coverage's his offense is playing against after one series and make the proper adjustments." (Saying things like this to the media, essentially throwing the coaches under the bus, might have something to do with Williams' sudden cut in playing time).

Explain what you mean, if it isn't that the Bills WR's weren't getting open because of the coverage, cuz that's how it reads...

What happened to the running game between last season, and this season? Not sure, but one thing that changed is that they dropped the Hurry Up, which simplified defenses, and limited defensive substitutions. They also lost the 2 starters for a bunch of games (and Fred Jackson got old).

And though I see complaints about not getting the ball to Watkins enough, I also saw ill-advised, forced passes from Orton in Watkins' direction, when there were other receivers open in better circumstances. Orton had obviously decided ahead of time that he was going to throw to Watkins, and it didn't work out.

The running game sucked. The passing game sucked. The offense isn't good, and I don't believe that changing the run/pass ration would have made a significant difference, because they are bad at both. I don't think the problem was strategic, I think it was lacking talent, and mostly at QB.

I didn't say that, I was quoting what i heard WR Mike Williams was saying about the Bills playing against the wrong coverage's , and he didn't say they were so well covered it shut down the passing game.

Did you watch the Bills video?

Try using internet explorer because it doesn't work with google chrome for me. http://www.buffalobi...bb-c911b4607d09

http://billsmafia.com/2014/12/24/buffalo-bills-must-prioritize-offensive-line-qb-2015-nfl-offseason/

This Article pretty much sums up my opinion.

Edited by FeartheLosing