Pats free agents

I wonder how the Pats will deal with their burgeoning crop of free agents. Will they expect all their players to "take one for the team?"

Adam Vinitieri, for example. What do you think his value will be, especially if he hits a bunch of clutch kicks in the Super Bowl? He may set a record for $$$ for a kicker. But what then? Do the Pats match, busting their cap, or do they let him walk?

The Patriots philosophy has been building a team of interchangable parts. That may work for O-linemen and cornerbacks, but not kickers. There is no understudy for Adam on the roster.

The same goes for QB. If Tom Brady wins is SB MVP again, how long will he be happy playing for chump change? I'm not sure when Brady's contract runs out, but right now he is not anywhere near the top of the pay scale. Peyton Manning may not be able to win the big game, but he gets paid a hell of a lot more than Tom Brady.

The Pats may be a dynasty, but I think their salary cap will hit the boling point after this year. Brady and Vinitieri are two key players that are going to want to be paid as such very soon. Not to mention Bruschi, McGinnest, Corey Dillon, etc.

PTR

I wonder how the Pats will deal with their burgeoning crop of free agents.  Will they expect all their players to "take one for the team?"

Adam Vinitieri, for example.  What do you think his value will be, especially if he hits a bunch of clutch kicks in the Super Bowl?  He may set a record for $$$ for a kicker.  But what then?  Do the Pats match, busting their cap, or do they let him walk?

The Patriots philosophy has been building a team of interchangable parts.  That may work for O-linemen and cornerbacks, but not kickers.  There is no understudy for Adam on the roster.

The same goes for QB.  If Tom Brady wins is SB MVP again, how long will he be happy playing for chump change?  I'm not sure when Brady's contract runs out, but right now he is not anywhere near the top of the pay scale.  Peyton Manning may not be able to win the big game, but he gets paid a hell of a lot more than Tom Brady.

The Pats may be a dynasty, but I think their salary cap will hit the boling point after this year.  Brady and Vinitieri are two key players that are going to want to be paid as such very soon.  Not to mention Bruschi, McGinnest, Corey Dillon, etc.

PTR

226706[/snapback]

The Pats will franchise Viniteri again- just like last year. Top 5 average salary for a placekicker is not too high. I am sure they will extend Brady and Bruschi. The rest of the Pats are interchangable IMO(besides Seymour and Law)

The Pats will franchise Viniteri again- just like last year.  Top 5 average salary for a placekicker is not too high.  I am sure they will extend Brady and Bruschi.  The rest of the Pats are interchangable IMO(besides Seymour and Law)

226711[/snapback]

Are you even allowed to "franchise" the same player twice? Something tells me no.

PTR

Are you even allowed to "franchise" the same player twice?  Something tells me no.

PTR

226714[/snapback]

walter jones has been franchised 3 years in a row........i think this is pace's 2nd year in a row being franchised.......i don't think vinateri is going anywhere..........the tag price on kickers isn't that bad compared to other positions, and he has proved his value time and time again.........

you raise a good point with brady though......it will be interesting to see how that situation unfolds this off-season........due to his restructure last sept. (to get them under the cap before the season so they wouldn't have to cut anyone), his '05 cap hit is over 10 million.........it is obvious they will come to him to extend and get that number down because it will be tough for them to carry.........he can make it very easy on them or he can make it very difficult on them, given his leverage.......they won't cut/trade him, so he has a ton of leverage........worse comes to worse, they will carry him at 10M, but that will really effect the rest of the lineup because they will be forced to cut others and won't be as active in free agency as they may want to be......

i think brady is key -- if he starts the ball rolling with $$, the rest of the team may follow.......on the other hand, if he takes less $$ to stick around on a winner, it will trickle down to other players on the roster as well, even more so then now.........

You're about two years early with this post.  Brady and Seymour are both signed through 2006, and they are by far the players the Pats will have to pay the most to keep.

226728[/snapback]

so you think the pats are comfortable with brady's cap number next year and won't make an effort to reduce it? if he refuses, you don't think that will have a significant impact on the roster?

p.s. love the new avatar -- what happened to willis anyway?

so you think the pats are comfortable with brady's cap number next year and won't make an effort to reduce it? if he refuses, you don't think that will have a significant impact on the roster?

226752[/snapback]

if Brady's cap number is a problem, they'll give him a new signing bonus (aka restructuring), boom, it's done

if Brady's cap number is a problem, they'll give him a new signing bonus (aka restructuring), boom, it's done

226754[/snapback]

and if that signing bonus offered isn't enough for brady what happens? that the point of the discussion........

I think the team will be fine with his cap number next year, although it is high (a shade over $10 million). Cutting or trading (much less likely, I know) Law will free up around that same amount, $10 million. After '05, though, Brady's contract becomes an issue, since it'll be a contract year and because the cap hit jumps to $14 million in '06.

Here's an outstanding page on the Pats' cap situation, if you're interested.

Got bored of it (just like my Donahoe "Loser" avatar :( ), and wanted to go a more positive route. Not bashing the Bills, but praising the Pats. Glad you like it! :(

I think the team will be fine with his cap number next year, although it is high (a shade over $10 million).  Cutting or trading (much less likely, I know) Law will free up around that same amount, $10 million.  After '05, though, Brady's contract becomes an issue, since it'll be a contract year and because the cap hit jumps to $14 million in '06.

Here's an outstanding page on the Pats' cap situation, if you're interested.

Got bored of it (just like my Donahoe "Loser" avatar :( ), and wanted to go a more positive route.  Not bashing the Bills, but praising the Pats.  Glad you like it! :(

226827[/snapback]

yea, i'm well aware of miguel's page, probably the best cap site on the net.......

i would be shocked if they didn't approach brady to get that number down........they have several key free agents to sign along with draft picks, plus whatever they want to do on top of that in free agency, so i think they will need more then the cap relief law's contract provides.....they can take other routes by axing other players, but i think brady will be the first option..........

like i said, brady holds the cards here......if he plays ball, their laughing.......if he raises a fuss, the dominos will fall from there.....but either way, i think it will play out with brady this off-season, not next.........they don't want to have to carry that 10M next year.......

I wonder how the Pats will deal with their burgeoning crop of free agents.  Will they expect all their players to "take one for the team?"

Adam Vinitieri, for example.  What do you think his value will be, especially if he hits a bunch of clutch kicks in the Super Bowl?  He may set a record for $$$ for a kicker.  But what then?  Do the Pats match, busting their cap, or do they let him walk?

The Patriots philosophy has been building a team of interchangable parts.  That may work for O-linemen and cornerbacks, but not kickers.  There is no understudy for Adam on the roster.

The same goes for QB.  If Tom Brady wins is SB MVP again, how long will he be happy playing for chump change?  I'm not sure when Brady's contract runs out, but right now he is not anywhere near the top of the pay scale.  Peyton Manning may not be able to win the big game, but he gets paid a hell of a lot more than Tom Brady.

The Pats may be a dynasty, but I think their salary cap will hit the boling point after this year.  Brady and Vinitieri are two key players that are going to want to be paid as such very soon.  Not to mention Bruschi, McGinnest, Corey Dillon, etc.

PTR

226706[/snapback]

They will make it work. They have in the past few years. They'll find a way. As long as they have Belicheck and Brady, they'll continue to be successful.

If anything, I think Law and Seymour have proven that anyone is replacable. They're Pro Bowlers, legit superstarts, and their backups shut down Harrison and Bettis. The X-Factor is Brady, but that remains to be played out. I don't think they're in cap crisis just yet.

From what I've read, cutting Ty Law will save them a good amount on the cap. Brady is signed, Seymour is signed, Bruschi and Matt Light just resigned.

I think the only big name free agents to be are Vinatiri and Givens. The rest are possibly on their last legs.