Can we get some screens, sweeps, counters?

Virgil

One more thing to add--the qb roll out.

Orton is a sitting duck back there and Hackett calls the same plays that keep Kyle standing in the exact same spot every play. It's not hard for a defense to know where he's going to be.

Roll outs save your qb from getting crushed, and give more time for receivers to get open.

Also, I think the reason Marrone isn't calling plays is he doesn't want to associate himself too closely with Hackett, who is going to be let go at the end of the season. The kid is over his head and has been since he came into the NFL. If Marrone survives this season, which I think he will, Pegula will expect some significant changes. A top notch OC will be a high priority, maybe a Chip Kelly clone or someone similar.

You and 26 might be right re this. But I recall that we were a really effective screen team when chan was here, and the right side of that line was wood, Urbik, and pears. I think the left side, with Levitre, was better-- but we ran screens pretty effectively on both sides.

Just don't think we should abandon the idea simply because the guards are slow.

I agree plus we only ran one type of running play yesterday.

I wonder if we just did what we had to do to win this game. Keep it simple and learn. Control the jets pass rush (ranked #4 for yards lost on sacks and #6 on sacks), by running right at them. Grind them down and tire them out. We have two weeks until the next game and I am going to guess that there will be new playbook. KC will not have any tendancies to prepare for and will have to adjust on the fly. (?)

In many ways, Marrone seems to share a lot of the old Jauron-ish philosophies ... run, punt, put it on the defense, play field position, mangle clock management in the last 2 minutes of the first half... at least insofar as game tactics go. I wonder how much that directly influences, or limits, the offensive coordinator.

On one hand, we have shown that willingness to "go for the throat" that we all like (ex: go for the endzone on the first play after a turnover), but it doesn't seem to happen as often as we'd like.

It's tough to throw-in with the anti-Hackett crowd without knowing if it's all coming from the head coach or not. That, and the fact that yes ... results matter ... and I'm liking this season a lot more than the last several.