2004 Bills & 2014 team similarities

DreamJayy

Havent we seen this before? The 2004 Buffalo Bills, like this years team are similar in that both squads

-Have a Veteran statue of a QB that can put up big yards and get the ball deep, but are prone to disastrous mistakes if the protection breaks down (like pick sixes, and strip fumbles) yet keeps you believing we are in every game

-Have a dominant Defense featuring two big tackles that stuff the run, quick ends who get to the QB and a secondary that leaves much to be desired (although the '04 squad was much better in the secondary)

-Good outside/slot receivers and an explosive rookie WR that was drafted in the first round that had an up n down year (Lee Evans finished with close to 900 yds and 9 TD's)

-A two headed running attack featuring two good RB's that had some injuries and pressed others into action

- An offensive line that looked good on paper, but broke down in big situations that led to turnovers, and long 3rd downs

-A second year head coach/system

We should finish with a shot at the playoffs (like in '04) .....I just hope if its a "Win and your in" scenario come week 17....we dont blow it to a bunch of backups like in 2004, and I certainly do not want to blow the whole thing up in the offseason like we did following that season!

I was actually thinking the exact same thing the other day, and the idea of Orton filling a Drew Bledsoe role for us does make for an interesting comparison, although at this stage I think Orton is better player. Lets just hope that we dont even need to win a week 17 game at New England to make it in to the playoffs. Lets hope we have a playoff berth wrapped up by then :D

Havent we seen this before? The 2004 Buffalo Bills, like this years team are similar in that both squads

-Have a Veteran statue of a QB that can put up big yards and get the ball deep, but are prone to disastrous mistakes if the protection breaks down (like pick sixes, and strip fumbles) yet keeps you believing we are in every game

-Have a dominant Defense featuring two big tackles that stuff the run, quick ends who get to the QB and a secondary that leaves much to be desired (although the '04 squad was much better in the secondary)

-Good outside/slot receivers and an explosive rookie WR that was drafted in the first round that had an up n down year (Lee Evans finished with close to 900 yds and 9 TD's)

-A two headed running attack featuring two good RB's that had some injuries and pressed others into action

- An offensive line that looked good on paper, but broke down in big situations that led to turnovers, and long 3rd downs

-A second year head coach/system

We should finish with a shot at the playoffs (like in '04) .....I just hope if its a "Win and your in" scenario come week 17....we dont blow it to a bunch of backups like in 2004, and I certainly do not want to blow the whole thing up in the offseason like we did following that season!

I do remember very well that team. There are a few differences though. I think Bledsoe had a stronger arm than Orton. I think Sammy is already better than Evans. I also think the OL is more of a detriment to this team than '04's.