(OT)FWIW TW+Comcast bid for Adelphia

Time-Warner and Comcast (seems they are conneced) put in a bid to acquire what's left of Adelphia.

A lot of WNY folks have MF'd Adelphia, so maybe this is a step forward...

I have T-W in Cincinnati. I've no choice, mind, but they do a good job and their service is exemplary.

I hope Time-Warner gets Adelphia because they seem to be the lesser of two evils.

My friends who have T-W pay alot, but have ok customer service. Everyone I know who has Comcast is unhappy with their customer service. esp. regarding their internet service.

I called Adelphia on Saturday night to inquire about the NFL Network preview and what channel it would be on. I waited on hold for 25 minutes and finally hung up. Fug them....at this point I'll take Comcast, Time Warner or even International Cable(preceded Adelphia here in WNY for all you yuggin's) :rolleyes:

Comcast is terrible.

I've heard Time Warner isn't quite as bad...

But again, Comcast is TERRIBLE.

:I starred in Brokeback Mountain: Comcast.

If I were in WNY, I'd recommend DirecTV; great customer service, better prices (you don't even have to rent the remote control for $3/month!). Did I mention that in the past 6+ years, my monthly bill has gone DOWN in price 3 times (and only up twice that I recall, maybe three times).

CW

Comcast is terrible.

I've heard Time Warner isn't quite as bad...

But again, Comcast is TERRIBLE.

:I starred in Brokeback Mountain:  Comcast.

If I were in WNY, I'd recommend DirecTV; great customer service, better prices (you don't even have to rent the remote control for $3/month!).  Did I mention that in the past 6+ years, my monthly bill has gone DOWN in price 3 times (and only up twice that I recall, maybe three times).

CW

Fez, Fez, Fez......... DTV just announced a price INCREASE! :)

DirecTV will raise prices for its consumer packages on March

1, the satellite TV company revealed late Thursday.

On average, rates will go up for DirecTV customers by 4

percent, when taking into consideration the $63 in

average monthly revenue generated on an average customer

basis. The packages mentioned by the company will see

a $3 increase.

The Total Choice package will go from $39.99 a month to $41.99

a month. Total Choice Plus will climb from $42.99 a month to

$45.99 a month. And Total Choice Premier will jump from $90.99

a month to $93.99 a month.

Prices for premium services will not see an increase. The

upcoming price increase also will not cover sports packages,

though pricing for sports packages typically are announced in

advance of the particular sports season start and usually

change year from year.

When asked to comment on the pending price increases, DirecTV

spokesperson Bob Marsocci said the company has encountered

higher programming costs, much like other cable and satellite

TV companies. And Marsocci said DirecTV continues to invest

in its business, including work on several "capital intensive"

items that he said will help make DirecTV a more attractive

service to consumers.

DirecTV has opened two new call centers to handle its growing

customer base. And beginning this year, DirecTV will begin

launching new satellites that will support an expansion of its

service, such as more national high def channels and local HD.

The next-generation satellites alone - four Ka-Band

spacecraft - represent a $1 billion investment, Marsocci said.

We've got Adelphia now. Church pays the cable bill for us, but we pay for the high speed internet. I'm no great fan of Adelphia but I just wonder what we'll be getting. Jamestown at the other end of Chautauqua Lake has TW. I know they have more channels. It's all too expensive.

Fez, Fez, Fez......... DTV just announced a price INCREASE! :)

224654[/snapback]

D'oh...

Still, I just looked through my records and I'm actually paying $2/month less than I was paying two years ago ($54.31 on 1/3/03 vs $52.37 on 1/3/05). So this price increase will put me only $1 higher than I was paying two years ago. I can deal with that, especially since I'm guessing this price increase will help keep Sunday Ticket low again (remember, people were guessing that the Ticket would cost well over $300 after they signed the contract with the NFL, but it's still only $179/year).

It also still beats Comcast raising my cable internet bill from $45/month to $65/month only a couple months after I got service, all because I didn't have cable TV.

CW

Here's a little hope for those of you who aren't yet getting the NFL network. We have Comcast here- great service- and the nfl network was in the 400 channel area meaning you had to have the box. Just yesterday, they moved it to channel 57- meaning now anybody with cable can get it. My point is, just have a little patience. NFL network has hit cable bigger than when espn started and they're getting it out there to everyone. Keep calling and demanding, it'll come