Tom Brady Intentional Grounding

PO'14

OUTSIDE THE POCKET???

Where did the ball end up? If it was at or beyond the LOS, then it's not grounding because he's outside of the pocket.

GO BILLS!!!

I just watched the Replay...HE TOOK 1 STEP to the RIGHT and released the BALL....again...1 STEP!

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

OUTSIDE THE POCKET???

I just watched the Replay...HE TOOK 1 STEP to the RIGHT and released the BALL....again...1 STEP!

If it's the play from the picture you posted in post #5 in the thread, he appears to be outside of his OT and well outside of the hash. I'll try to watch it in motion but from that pic alone, I can see why it wasn't called.

GO BILLS!!!

If it's the play from the picture you posted in post #5 in the thread, he appears to be outside of his OT and well outside of the hash. I'll try to watch it in motion but from that pic alone, I can see why it wasn't called.

GO BILLS!!!

No you cant see why it wasnt called. I just told you,,,he took 1 STEP!

Why is he outside of his OT? That's something the official is looking at, too.

GO BILLS!!!

Ok, I didnt want to do this cuz i suck at Techology, but i will post some more pics.

Here you go...look at where he is pre-snap!

Enjoy!

post-16289-0-86002100-1413590066_thumb.png

The refs were the main reason we lost to the Pats. I was stunned not one person was pissed about this on this board after the game.

Instead it was the same reaction after almost every loss. These coaches suck, spiller sucks, our d sucks, hackett sucks on and on....

I think you missed this one twobillsdrive whiners.

Just wow...

There is an element of "reasonable" intention here. Just as with interpreting intentional grounding, where a receiver has to have a "reasonable" chance to catch the ball (if the QB throws from within the pocket). Spiking the ball clearly shows no intention to throw a pass. The rule was implemented because QBs just used to fling the ball to the sidelines as fast as they could to stop the clock, anyway.

GO BILLS!!!

The rule allowing intention spikes is actually relatively new. Well, last two decades new. Back in the day, if the QB wanted to stop the clock, he had to throw the ball out of bounds. The spike rule was intended to give teams a chance to stop the clock quicker. The rule saying the QB had to be outside of the tackle box to throw the ball away was created to protect the QB but also to make it a bit harder for him to avoid sacks.

The key difference with spiking the ball is that the QB isn't in imminent danger of being sacked.