Interesting dialogue on WR frustrations with EJ

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In my opinion this whole EJ throwing the football to WRS getting them injured is hogwash. Goodwin got injured, OK, so how is that different from any other game?

On the pass to Goodwin Weddle was a full 5 yards away from Goodwin when EJ threw the football. What is EJ supposed to do, check that Goodwin is open (which he was) and also that no DBs are within striking distance, and then deliver the football? Then it's too late.

The pass to Woods was just a dumb play on EJ's part and just as dumb on Woods for actually catching the football.

I see WRs catch a pass and get creamed in every game I watch. Saw it happen to Fitzgerald last week and he didn't whine about it. He trotted back to the huddle.

I didn't hear EJ complain or whine when Sammy made a drive killing drop in the 4th quarter around mid field. Or about his OLine not being able to block #99.

This is just one of those things that gets repeated often enough and loud enough to become truth on TDB.

Edited by reddogblitz

I apologize if this has been quoted elsewhere, but I thought it was very revealing insight.....

"I pointed out last week that Manuel got one of his receivers killed against the Chargers. Poor Marquis Goodwin had to be taken off the field after being splattered by safety Eric Weddle. The crash test dummy last Sunday was Robert Woods. Manuel again threw him into a big hit against the Texans. There was only about 25 seconds left in the half from their own 48-yard line. Instead of trying to push the ball down the field, Manuel stared down Woods on a very short in-and-out route and led him right into a big hit by cornerback Darryl Morris, one of two Texans defenders just standing there waiting to take Woods' block off.

Woods' body language has clearly suggested frustration with Manuel's inaccurate passing several times this season. This time, Woods got up shaking his head as the team lined up to spike the ball. After the spike, I noticed that Fred Jackson, a team captain, made sure to stay between Woods and Manuel, talking to Woods as Manuel appeared to try to say something ... maybe apologize? Woods never even turned to look in Manuel's direction the whole time, and I can only imagine how that conversation with Jackson went.

From that point on, every time Manuel threw a pass to Woods that was off target, Woods would get up and slam the ball to the ground. His fellow receiver Mike Williams got into the act, jumping up and down in frustration after Manuel missed him on two different deep balls. I already pointed out, in last week's Notebook, Watkins' refusal to reach out for a pass that likely would have gotten him blown up. Wide receivers usually aren't the type to fight, with the obvious exception of Steve Smith, but in this instance I think they were about ready to give E.J. a "Code Red." "

WoodsHit.0.gif

http://www.sbnation.com/nfl/2014/10/1/6880601/kyle-orton-buffalo-bills-ej-manuel-afc-east

I remember that play and was wondering why in hell in that situation did he make that throw.

I didn't know it was Woods I just was like damn that receiver got buried.