Shane Matthews: did he show enough

Cash2Burn

It certainly isn't the only factor, but it's a pretty big one to consider when you play important games outside in Orchard Park, Cleveland, Pittsburgh, and San Francisco in December.  Shane Matthews is a marginal veteran performer who performed adequately in a preseason game.  Whoopie.

Anyone remember how good Joe Montana looked in the AFC Championship game against the Chiefs?  It's not a fuggin' coincidence.

16906[/snapback]

I agree with your asessment from the perspective of a starter, but as a third string QB, which he would ultimately end up, I think He's Ideal.

I'll listen to Drew Bledsoe apologists and

I'll listen to Trey Teague apologists and

I might even listen to Mike Williams apologists

The potential for all is certainly there.

But I draw the line when it comes to listening to Travis Brown apologists. :D

Give him the injury settlement now TD! :P

we could really use the extra spot for somebody else besides a 4th qb....I liked how mathews ran the team even if it was just a preseason game...brown has been cut and resigned b4 and theres a reason for that....front office knows hes mediocre but they just need to fill that 3rd qb spot so they bring him back....for all it matters we could get a different 3rd qb every year if we wanted to....Id rather the spot be used by another position than keep 4 qbs is all...

we could really use the extra spot for somebody else besides a 4th qb....I liked how mathews ran the team even if it was just a preseason game...brown has been cut and resigned b4 and theres a reason for that....front office knows hes mediocre but they just need to fill that 3rd qb spot so they bring him back....for all it matters we could get a different 3rd qb every year if we wanted to....Id rather the spot be used by another position than keep 4 qbs is all...

16961[/snapback]

This is EXACTLY the point.

I don't have a problem with Brown per se. I don't want four QBs on the roster. And just because I'm lobbying for him, don't think I view Matthews as anything more than a marginal vet with limited skills.

My main thought is that I'd hate to see a "bubble" player at another position that might help us down the road get cut just so we can have Brown's extensive knowledge of the playbook sitting on the bench.

Face it. If either Matthews or Brown were forced to take over for DB, what chance would the Bills have of winning much anyway. The jig would be up either way.

I'd much rather have an extra LB, DB or DL to play special teams or even keep Dorenbos instead of Neufeld before I'd keep four QBs. Sorry Travis, life's not fair.

My main thought is that I'd hate to see a "bubble" player at another position that might help us down the road get cut just so we can have Brown's extensive knowledge of the playbook sitting on the bench. 

Come on guys. Does it really burn your ass that much that the Bills have to carry 4 QBs due to injury? What about when they carried 2 kickers in past years? That didn't bother you? What if Fletcher and Spikes got hurt and we had to carry and extra 2 linebackers? Would you B word then too? QB is the most important position on the field. Carry 6 of them if you have to.

Come on guys. Does it really burn your ass that much that the Bills have to carry 4 QBs due to injury? What about when they carried 2 kickers in past years? That didn't bother you? What if Fletcher and Spikes got hurt and we had to carry and extra 2 linebackers? Would you B word then too? QB is the most important position on the field. Carry 6 of them if you have to.

17178[/snapback]

But two of them are injured. We only have Bledsoe and Matthews right now. And we have a lot of promising young talent at other positions. It's a worthwhile argument. Why keep 2 guys who are similarly marginal in Brown and Matthews AND keep 2 injured QBs on the roster if there is an alternative solution that will allow us to keep another possible diamond in the rough? If we want to, we can get Brown back later. No one's been busting through our door asking for Travis Brown.

And if Fletcher and Spikes got hurt this board would be drinking itself to death because the season would be lost, so that's a poor argument. And two kickers was dumb. Daluiso stinks.

If we want to, we can get Brown back later.  No one's been busting through our door asking for Travis Brown.

17191[/snapback]

Exactly.

If you let TB go now,

the odds that another team will pick him up are slim and none.

Been there, seen that.

Keep Matthews.

If his lack of arm strength/lack of playbook knowledge/whatever proves to be a liability,

let him go & bring TB back.

But two of them are injured.  We only have Bledsoe and Matthews right now.  And we have a lot of promising young talent at other positions.  It's a worthwhile argument.  Why keep 2 guys who are similarly marginal in Brown and Matthews AND keep 2 injured QBs on the roster if there is an alternative solution that will allow us to keep another possible diamond in the rough? 

17191[/snapback]

I understand where you are coming from but I think you guys are giving a bit too much credit to the last DB or LB on the depth chart. Who was the promising young talent who was the 6th DB in 2001? Answer, who the heck cares. When you are down that far on the depth chart, those guys are replaceable. If you cut them now, $50 bucks says they will be there week 8 to resign if you really want to.

17178[/snapback]

Extra LBs, DBs or linemen can play special teams, which is one-third of the game--and as we've seen so far, one of the real areas on need on the team right now.

Depth guys like Greer or Lawson would be much more valuable/important to keep than Brown and have more upside potential down the road.

You can not cut injured players.  An injured player has to be put on IR or have an injury settlement.  But I agree about signing.

17390[/snapback]

So why not just put Brown on IR if they really like him that much? That way, they don't have to cut him; don't have to reach an injury settlement; and get to keep their minimal investment in him intact.

Keep Losman on the roster but inactive so he can practice. He's the future; he needs to stay on the active roster.

I think in this case you also need to keep in consideration the team psyche and morale issues. The players understand it's a cutthroat business but you have to show you are rewarding the behaviors you want. By all accounts Travis has worked very hard to improve and seems to be popular with teammates and a help to the other qbs. He's finally getting to the point his play may improve because of his years in the league vs a 34 year old qb.

I think you have to keep 4 for that reason. It's a cutthroat business and at other positions it may not be as much of a consideration but if you go over the line regarding how you treat some players I think you lose some of the ability to keep them focused as a team.

For ex., most people think Parcells is cutthroat but look at the players he brings to his teams. He rewards players who give him what he wants so clearly that most players get on board. Parcells is loyal to you if you are loyal to him and all the great coaches are like that. Crusty old Lombardi was the same. With Mularkey's experience as a player I think (I hope) he will build a team in the same manner. I am willing to bet right now Brown will not get cut. Zolman is gone and we'll carry 4 qbs. You can mock my comment if I am wrong!

I think in this case you also need to keep in consideration the team psyche and morale issues.  The players understand it's a cutthroat business but you have to show you are rewarding the behaviors you want.  By all accounts Travis has worked very hard to improve and seems to be popular with teammates and a help to the other qbs.  He's finally getting to the point his play may improve because of his years in the league vs a 34 year old qb.

I think you have to keep 4 for that reason.  It's a cutthroat business and at other positions it may not be as much of a consideration but if you go over the line regarding how you treat some players I think you lose some of the ability to keep them focused as a team. 

For ex., most people think Parcells is cutthroat but look at the players he brings to his teams.  He rewards players who give him what he wants so clearly that most players get on board.  Parcells is loyal to you if you are loyal to him and all the great coaches are like that.  Crusty old Lombardi was the same.  With Mularkey's experience as a player I think (I hope) he will build a team in the same manner.  I am willing to bet right now Brown will not get cut.  Zolman is gone and we'll carry 4 qbs.  You can mock my comment if I am wrong!

17448[/snapback]

Unfortunately, with active rosters at 53 and the fact that you can dress a lesser number for any given game, 4 roster spots is a bunch. IIRC, they carried only 2 active QB's for much of last season. They aren't particulary deep at LB, and DL and OL remain a bit of a question mark. And Milloy is banged up.

The Bill's bench, as it stands, is not one of the league's stronger ones.