How Was Sammy?

symbiant

Couldn't watch the game... how did Sammy Watkins look?

Did they double team him? Was he a decoy (hurt)?

Thanks in advance

He made some really good catches. His first was a short slant to convert for a key first down in the redzone. He took a couple hits but didn't look rattled. He got open deep and EJ slightly overthrew him and he had a good mid-route catch called back by a penalty. His route running from what I could see was fantastic as expected.

I can only echo Big C. 3 catches for 31 yards if I recall correctly. And another catch called back. Then there was the long pass which was inches from being a great connection.

While he didn't produce any spectacular plays, Sammy did look like he belonged out there. He ran good routes and looked confident. And I didn't notice the ribs slowing him down though maybe they were.

Decoy? I don't think he's established enough to be an effective decoy.

Sammy looked like he belonged out there. Some good short catches and another one that was called back. Throw in the fact that had EJ thrown him a slightly better ball he probably would have had a really big play. Too early to tell but Sammy certainly gave the team reason to view him optimistically if you take a look at the context of the game and the offense.

Why only 3 catches? And no plays designed for him?

EJ only threw 22 times which included a extra possession in overtime. So the opportunities for a lot of catches and eye popping numbers was going to be limited to one receiver which ended up being Robert Woods. I don't recall any plays drawn up for him but I was watching it at work on a computer so I could have missed it. But Sammy and Mike Williams represented themselves well.

Sammy was targeted 4 times second to only Woods who was targeted 6, Mike Williams targeted 3 times. Just a frame of reference.

Edited by billsfan89