Why So Vanilla On Offense?

PolishDave

So if I understand you right, you are saying that the coaches really can't pick plays to run from the playbook that make sense with any confidence unless they game plan for the team. And it doesn't make sense to game plan for the teams in preseason because it doesn't matter really whether you win or lose. And if you game planned you would end up revealing things you don't want to. Is that kind of what you mean?

That and a lot more. In training camp the coaches work 20 hour days evaluating players to see who makes the team. It's an all consuming job. There is no time to game plan for the opponent, the opponent isn't running their full defense (or offense), the players you're trying to exploit in match ups aren't the same players on either team for the most part, and you're trying to accomplish different things.

The Bills are likely to come out with several new wrinkles in the opener.

Edited by Kelly the Dog

Hackett's play calling wasn't much more than vanilla, last year in the regular season... Never thought I would say this, But, I miss Chan!!!

You don't think that there were perhaps a few reasons for that?

I think the better question is "why is so hard to execute" four basic plain vanilla plays.

I personally think most football games are won by the team that out executes the other team. In the Bills heyday on third and two, everyone could know 100% what the play was ahead of time, and the Bills would simply execute the play and get the first down anyway. If you are relying on "tricking" the other team to move the chains, you aren't likely to be successful in the long run.