NFL Cutdown to 75

The reason they are keeping Moorman is because they knew what he was when he signed him--an aging punter, with declining leg strength, but with decent hang time and some reliability (at least relative to an unknown rookie, like Powell, who was terrible).

If they wanted an upgrade, they wouldn't have signed Dombrowski to "challenge" him--they would have gone after a vet in the offseason, or drafted a good prospect.

I am not sure why they would change course now, given that Moorman is exactly who they thought he was. And there are only 32 teams/punters in the league, so it's not like some surprise vet with a much bigger upside is going to hit the market.

We can question whether it was a wise move to re-sign Moorman, but the decision was made, and I just can't see the team changing course.

Two years ago, on the eve of the season, a two years younger Brian Moorman was cut for an unproven rookie. That happens most every year. If a vet gets cut I can easily see them signing him.

Jordan Palmer just lost Bears' backup job to Clausen. And just got released. Could he be a vet who helps EJ, especially against our week 1 opponent?

Has he ever started an NFL regular season game? EJ easily has 5x the experience he does. He's spent his entire career as a camp arm, this is like saying Dennis Dixon should be picked up... wait?

Has he ever started an NFL regular season game? EJ easily has 5x the experience he does. He's spent his entire career as a camp arm, this is like saying Dennis Dixon should be picked up... wait?

And there you go. It's because he'd be a good mentor.