Your Friday New Music find - Selwyn Birchwood

The Poojer

In case anyone pays attention to my useless posts, fridays sometimes include going to WXPN's Free At Noon Shows. Normally the shows which are broadcast to all NPR music affiliates from noon to 12:40 are really regimented so as to keep the on air feed on schedule...this guy is a relatively new blues guy with a solid debut album. He played for 90 minutes and no one was leaving to go back to work....

If you enjoy blues style music, check this guy out, he put on one hell of a smokin' show for our 'drunch'-time enjoyment, and if you are really lucky, one of the pictures might have me in it, i haven't looked but i was basically the same distance to the music as i am to the keyboard i am typing on....give him a listen, he is well worth it.

http://thekey.xpn.org/2014/08/22/selwyn-birchwood-fan/

he switched to a small laptop slide guitar for 2 songs toward the end, the rest was the gibson. such a surprisingly awesome show. i knew the 'don't call no ambulance' song, the rest simply blew us all away

Listening to it now. Nice stuff. Guitar playing is very good. Absolutely love the baritone sax.

Did Birchwood play that Gibson the whole time? Such a sweet sound.

side note, he has an MBA from Tampa University/University of Tampa....decided to have a plan b, just in case.

Funny you say that. I don't think there are many "dumb" excellent musicians. I know some great local musicians and each and every one of them is very, very smart. Even the "big names," I can't think of any total idiots who are masters at their craft. Not to be confused with famous musicians or "artists."