My ultimate call on the final cuts

4everBills

One thing that hasnt been talked about (as far as Ive seen) is that this is a NEW head coach.

Yeah weve all talked about Mularkey but not in this context.

Mularkey could give 2 craps about players that were Gregg Williams favorites. Not only that but he has a whole new offense and vision for the right type of player for each position.

So, dont count ANY player as a lock for a position. I bet that we see some suprises on the final cut day and heres my list:

Joe Burns AND Ken Simonton are gone, Shaud is a Mularkey guy and has shown flashes

Luke Lawton

Bobby Shaw- gone- I think youth prevails here. J Smith is a Mularkey guy. Moulds, Evans, Reed, and Aiken (because of a reported strong camp) are locks. Shaw was a Steeler but hasnt shown jack in THIS season, remember the slate is clean.

Drew Haddad- Id love for a UB guy to make it but lets face it hes camp fodder

Ben Sobieski and Eposito- again slates clean, look who has gotten the reps, Pucillo wins out but is a backup to L Smith.

Dylan Mc Farland- Yes he is a Mularkey guy but hes headed for the PS, just a hunch based on Sullivans reps

McKenzie and Ritzman- Gildon is a Mularkey hire and an ex-Steeler personally I like McKenzie better than Gildon

Bannan and Sape- Both havce shown zip so far and Anderson is a Mularkey guy

Haggan OR Crowell- Haggan has shown special teams flash but neither is a Mularkey draftee

Greer, Dixon, AND Prioeleau (whatever)- Pearson has looked sloppy and again the slates clean, Baker has shown flashes.

Now thats 16 players cut. Were at 68 and go to 52. 1 gets saved your choice?

If I read the depth chart right Joe Burns is splitting time at FB, hed be a guy to keep. McFarland would be another or maybe a LB for special teams like Haggan or Crowell. Id Love for it to be Haddad but it wont happen. I dont see Shaw staying and Aiken or Freddie Smith going, I know it seems crazy, just my hunch.

Your thoughts?

Shaw stays.... he is a clutch receiver on 3rd downs, and can be relied on to make the catch. Burns is gone, Lawton looks like he can fill the back up FB job. I feel Prioleau is a potential cut, but may get a roster spot due to Milloy's injury and has valuable experience. Mckenzie stays, Gildon will eliminate a LB from last year such as Stamer or Haggan. Simonton is cut as well, Shaud Williams is THE MAN...

I'd like to see Luke Lawton stick on the practice squad...he threw a great block on Williams' TD run and reminds me a little of Jamie Mueller from years back.

Bye-bye to Freddie Smith though. I had high hopes for him as a returner, but he's been a disapointing IMO.

We all can have our opinions on Shaw but the fact is his production last year in a TERRIBLE offense and steady production this preseason all but assures he will be no less than the 4th WR on this roster. Again, not a chance in hell he gets cut.